New to colorado springs and 1st time home schooling
    Unregistered Guest

Exclamation New to colorado springs and 1st time home schooling

We just move here to Ft. Carson, and I was homeschooling my soon for about seven months at Ft. Sill, OK. We moved from Ft. Hood, TX. So I wanted him to have some stability throughout the moves. I am not sure how this works, what he needs to do to make sure he goes to fourth grade next year. I do not know if he needs to test or what. Please can someone help me. I am not sure if I should just enroll him into school now before school ends. Please help send some guidance. By the way he has special needs.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Usually the public school will test the homeschooler to see what level they will place them at. It will be up the school as far as placement goes. I would just wait and enroll him next year.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Unregistered Guest

Default First year homeschooler in Aurora Co

If you KNOW he's going into 4th grade next year (just like my son) mail a notice of intent to homeschool to your school district (which you have to do every year), you can find a copy online. I went to the office and dropped it off myself, and they told me I could start homeschooling that day. At that point your on your own to choose whatever curriculum you want. At the end of 3rd, 5th and 7th grade the kids have to be tested or evaluated to show they are progressing, you'll need to submit the results to the school district where you live. We opted for an evaluation, it was very easy, no stress (the way I like things LOL) I have been told to keep good records of what work you've done, tests, attendance etc. in case he wants to go back to public school. Hope it helps!

Unregistered Guest

Red face Testing

When do they do the testing?
    Quote Originally Posted by jpenn View Post
    Usually the public school will test the homeschooler to see what level they will place them at. It will be up the school as far as placement goes. I would just wait and enroll him next year.