Special Need Homeschool High Schooler
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Mom of Colby is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2018

    Default Special Need Homeschool High Schooler

    We are relocating to Colorado from Virginia. We would like to homeschool our son from grade 10-12. He has attended public school in VA until now. It has been a miserable experience for him and we are looking forward to the change. I am looking for resources to help me get him through HS. I am wondering if the testing requirements are different for homeschoolers who have special needs? How do they measure progress? We are looking for a modified curriculum and any resources? Can anyone out there help me?

  2. #2
    hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Blog Entries

    Default Re: Special Need Homeschool High Schooler


    In Colorado, most parents of special needs students choose to have an evaluation done instead of testing. Keep a portfolio of your child's work (the initial work and later work showing improvement). Here is some information about keeping a homeschool portfolio with Time4Learning. Then you will have it to show to your chosen evaluator, who only has to send a letter to the district stating your child is making satisfactory progress according to his ability.

    Each state has its own homeschool laws and they are all very different. Here are Colorado's:

    1. Decide who will be homeschooling your child.

    Instruction must be provided by a parent, guardian, or adult relative designated by a parent.

    2. Notify a school district that you are homeschooling.

    The homeschool statute requires parents to provide 14 days’ notice before starting a home-based education program and annually thereafter. You may file this notice of intent with any school district in the state. The notice must include the names, ages, residence, and hours of attendance of the children to be taught.
    Here is what to do if the district requests any other information:
    Under certain circumstances the school district may request a curriculum plan. The law provides that if a child is “habitually truant” during the six months prior to beginning homeschooling, a school district may request a curriculum outline.

    3. Teach the required subjects.

    You are required to provide 172 days of instruction, averaging four hours per day, in the following subjects: the United States Constitution, reading, writing, speaking, math, history, civics, literature, and science. In addition to Time4Learning subjects, remember that you can count Scouts, 4H, music lessons, organized sports, volunteer work or part time jobs, arts and crafts, educational videos/games, reading for pleasure, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics.

    4. Keep good records.

    The law requires Colorado homeschooling parents to keep attendance records, test and evaluation results, and immunization records. The school district where you send your original notice of intent can request access to these documents only under certain conditions.
    If the superintendent “has probable cause to believe” the homeschool program is not in compliance with the law and requests access to a family’s homeschool records, he or she is required to provide the parent with 14 days’ notice.

    5. Test or evaluate your student.

    Students must be assessed with a nationally standardized achievement test or by a “qualified person” to determine if they have made sufficient academic progress according to their ability. Your child must be tested or evaluated in grades 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11. The test must be a nationally standardized achievement test. If you decide to have your child evaluated rather than tested, you must choose one of the following people to conduct the evaluation:

    • a Colorado certified teacher,
    • a teacher employed by a private school,
    • a licensed psychologist, or
    • a person with a graduate degree in education.

    Here is what to do with the test or evaluation results:
    The results must be submitted to either the school district to which you sent your notice of intent, or you may choose to submit the results to an independent or parochial school within the state of Colorado. If you do not send the results to the school to which you sent the notice of intent, you must inform that school where you sent the test or evaluation results.
    Here is what may happen if your student does not make “adequate progress” according to the law:
    If a child does not score above the 13th percentile on a nationally standardized achievement test, he or she can be given an alternate version of the same test or a different nationally standardized achievement test. If the score is still below the 13th percentile, the school district will require the parent to place the child in a public, independent, or parochial school until the next testing period.
    If an evaluation demonstrates that a child is not making progress in accordance with his or her ability, the school district can require the child’s parents to place the child in a public, independent, or parochial school until the next testing period.

    Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts