Why are you homeschooling?

View Poll Results: Why are YOU homeschooling?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • religious reasons

1 10.00%
  • dissatisfied with the academics in public schools

7 70.00%
  • trying to protect my kids from pop culture or peer pressure

5 50.00%
  • Other - please explain below!

2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Question Why are you homeschooling?

Homeschooling is such an individual choice, and we all have our reasons, don't we? I'm going to post a little something here that I clipped out of a magazine or booklet of some kind - I really don't remember - but for years now it's been hanging on my fridge to help me remember why I'm homeschooling.

"If the schools were perfect, I would still
    homeschool my children - because it isn't
    about school.

It's about families taking their children back
    and educating them as they see best.

It's about giving birth to a child and loving
    that child enough to want to nurture him
    and be a part of his life until he no longer
    needs you.

It is the natural thing to do. School is only a
    substitute for the real thing."
    - Kathleen McCurdy

Maybe that didn't do much for you, but I thought it was just beautiful and it really spoke to me. That's why I'm homeschooling my kids.

How about YOU?

Beth is offline Member

The above quote by Kathleen McCurdy is very well said. It says it all.

Beth - Grand Junction, CO

GarrettsMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

I agree..the quote says it all!

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Default more on Kathleen McCurdy...

OK, you guys got me curious and I looked up Kathleen McCurdy. It seemed a little strange for me to keep her writing taped to the side of my fridge when I didn't have any idea who she was or what she really stood for. So I googled her!

She has an interesting philosophy on natural learning. Her thoughts would seem to apply mostly to the unschooling movement, but I'm willing to bet that all homeschoolers could find some common ground in her writings. (Like her criticism of public education, for one thing!)

She makes a convincing argument that children will learn at their own pace regardless of how the adults in their lives guide them along the way. When they're ready and they see the value in learning something, then teaching isn't necessary - the kids take care of it for us!

Here's a short 1-page essay Kathleen McCurdy wrote. (click here) I found it really interesting and I'd love to hear some of my fellow T4L'ers opinions on her philosophy. What do you think about "natural learning"? Does she have it right?

crstarlette is offline Senior Member

Unschooling at a young age is not my bag of chips, but I love the quote you keep on your fridge!

lynn898 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am homeschooling because my kiddo is demanding it. I am disgusted with the options for us right now. I don't even think public school is an option for my child...ever. I don't think they would teach her anything beneficial and she would be bored to the point being disruptive if I put her in a school. I don't want that for her. I love teaching her. She loves to learn, loves to question and I do not want a school or peers stifling that. Now, I have another child in my home that desperately needs OT and speech therapy. She is in a school and they are wonderful with her. She learns at the same pace as everyone else and loves it there. I have two very different children needing two very different solutions in my home.

mom_of_7 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I just started homeschooling my youngest, a Kindergartener, who is 6. She was being bullied at school and it wasn't being handled properly. I was also tired of boys trying to lift up her skirt (also not being handled aggressively enough). These things were significantly impacting her natural desire to learn. She is very intelligent, and these repeated events were not only affecting her learning, but they were altering her personality.

Regarding Kathleen McCurdy, she is a tad extreme in her views for me. I do feel that children are only getting one side of every issue at school (the far-left side), and unless I keep right on top of every thing going on at school, I feel very helpless to provide a full picture for my kids. By fall, I will definitely be homeschooling my 9-year-old, and possibly my 8-year-old, as well.

wilandaaron is offline Junior Member Newbie

We just started this program to help my grandson, who just finished public 1st grade. He is with us for most of the summer. So far it's great. He likes it, because it involves the computer! Obviously this week is just a review of 1st grade for him. I hope it will help improve his reading and math skills over the summer and give him that little extra push to begin 2nd grade.