Brand New!

Thread: Brand New!

mamagamble Guest

Question Brand New!

Hello fellow nutmegers!
    My family is new to homeschooling. We just actively made the decision maybe 4 days ago, after I researched extensively for the past month. It was always in the back of my head but never seemed attainable. Sometimes crazy things happen in our lives to put the right things into prospective. I would love any advice on this new adventure my family is taking. What are some of the most important things for a newbie? What kind of curriculum do you use? My child is going to be 4, so we have a younging here! Thank you for your time and thoughts.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Mamagamble. Welcome to Time4Learning and to the wonderful world of homeschool. In my opinion, the best thing to remember is to keep it fun. With a 4 year old, become best friends with your children's librarian. Visit often. Read, read, read. As your child watches you read and listens to you read to them, they will develop a love for reading. In between reading lots and lots of play. Go for walks, count the steps, count the boards in the fence. Read street signs, signs on stores, house numbers.

I don't really think you need a curriculum at this age. But we have used time4learning since my son was in preK. He is now finishing up fourth grade. We still love it. Starfall is a great website for little ones. I think it is still free. Another great one is Learning Games For Kids.

Join a good homeschool support group. This will give your child play opportunites and learning activities. But it also will give you an outlet to discuss the issues with other homeschooling moms.

Best wishes on this wonderful journey.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota