Question about laws for homeschooling in CT
    Delkroemer is offline Junior Member

Default Question about laws for homeschooling in CT

Hello all,

I have a 5 yr old and a 4 year old, this fall will be my first year of actual homeschooling and I am wondering what the laws are here in CT. My 5 yr old will be starting kindergarten, what will I need to do? Will I have to notify someone of my plans? I heard something about signing a notice of intent, but also being able to opt out of that for a 5 and 6 year old. If this is so, when my child is 7 years old will I then have to submit to a yearly portfolio review or anything of that sort? Do I need to stay on the public school's schedule?

any advice is appreciated!

Love and Light,

Del

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Connecticut law is pretty vague on homeschooling. You can find a good summary of the law here. You do have to file a notice of intent. And yes, you can go to the school and sign a form to opt out of schooling your five and six year olds. The way I read the law you are required to keep a portfolio. But I'm not a lawyer, just a homeschool mom. It's best that you read the law for yourself and make your own interpretations. Welcome to time4learning and to the Connecticut forums.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

Kathi, it is not true that you have file a notice of intent in CT. In 1994, the State Board of Education, issued the C-14 Guidelines, which are the suggested (let me emphasize... SUGGESTED) procedures for homeschoolers and local school districts to follow.

The notice of intent is SUGGESTED and NOT required by law. Look here on the CT.GOV website.

Home Schooling Requirements

The HSLDA (who you linked to) and TEACH think it is a good idea for people to do the notice of intent (NOI) and for whatever reason in THEIR literature they write that it is required. But it clearly is NOT when you go to CT's own government websites.

I choose NOT to file the NOI. I can't think of a good reason to.

Blog Entries

Thanks for pointing that out. As I said, Connecticut law is very vague. That's why I recommend that each parent read the law for themselves. It certainly makes for a confusing situation.

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

It truly is vague. I went to a TEACH (The Education Association of Christian Homeschoolers) which is CT's local arm of HSLDA, and one of the groups in the state that does the most to sway possible legislation, workshop on CT's law. Even those on the board of TEACH expressly said that the NOI is optional but that they highly recommend filling it out as they contend that by filling it out we make a better case for staving off more restrictive requirements. To each his own. Kathi have you ever been pulled in for a portfolio review in your district?

Blog Entries

Hi Momma Crystal,

I am actually not in Connecticut but nearby in Jersey. We have no requirements at all here so no review needed. I have tried to study Connecticut laws in depth so that I could answer any questions that come up. But it is so easy to miss something with the various translations of the law available. That's why I always recommend that people read the law for themselves.