Help! New to Home Schooling
    Adrienne Guest

Question Help! New to Home Schooling

Hi everyone,

I am just starting for the first time at this homeschool stuff. My son is 14 and is having difficulties in the public school system. So, rather than him repeating the same grade over and over I decided to home school for the first time. Need some help though...Is time 4 learning sufficient or do I need a companion curriculum? Can my son catch up with 7th and 8th grade in one year? And what and where is the testing to move from each grade level?

Thanks any info will be appreciated..

Busy Homeschooling Mom
    -Adrienne

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Welcome Adrienne,
    Let me see if I can answer some of your questions

Can my son catch up with 7th and 8th grade in one year? That is kind of a loaded question. The amount of material presented per grade in each subject is an ample school years worth of work. However, if you student moves very quickly through things he already knows and spends more time on the things he needs to, there is not telling how quickly he can move through 2 school years worth of work. If you consider a whole calendar year, then it is more likely that he will be able to complete both grades or nearly so. Since he is new to homeschooling,and new to T4L, and has had some difficulties (your statement about not having him repeat same grade over and over) I would say to set a more modest goal and see what happens.
    Is time 4 learning sufficient or do I need a companion curriculum? Another question that I will try to qualify. Many families use T4L as their core curriculum and find it adequate for math, language arts, social studies and science. There is even an art program for 4th grade and up, and an algebra course upon request. This being said, many families also suppliment with reading, penmanship, foreign language, music, etc. Since your son will be doing 7th and 8th grade work, you may need to suppliment science and social studies since these are not offered except as repeats of the previous grades information. Since he has not used T4L before you might have him do the 6th grade science anyway, and beef it up to his grade level. You might try the same sort of thing for social studies for 8th grade.
    And what and where is the testing to move from each grade level?

And what and where is the testing to move from each grade level? Time4Learning does not offer grade level testing. Basically, when your child has finished a section there is usually a quiz, and chapter tests. You can say that your child is ready to move up when the exercises are all done, with passing scores, including the chapter tests. You do have access to 3 grades of material at a time though, so you would be able to look at 6th,7th, and 8th grade work. If 7th grade work is too hard, back him up to 6th in that subject for a little bit, or if it is too easy, let him move to 8th. I know that it seems hard to believe that you will know when it is time to move him up, but really,you will know. He may zip through lessons because he already knows the material, or he may make low scores because he doesn't understand something.
    I guess, the best thing I can tell you is that you followed your instincts to remove him from a difficult situation. Now it is time to trust your instincts that you will know when he is learning things, and when he needs to move faster, or slower.
    I wish you the best of luck on this adventure. I hope I answered some of your questions. If you have more questions, or concerns, please feel free to post them here and we will try to help if we can!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!