How long are you in for?
    MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default How long are you in for?

Ok, so tell me, how long are you in for? Are you a lifer?

What I should really ask is, how long do you plan to homeschool?
    Are you only doing it as a temporary stop gap until you move to another state/district?
    Elementary school only? Plan to homeschool through middle school?
    In for the long haul, through high school and beyond?
    Maybe you just don't know and are taking one day at a time.
    We would love to hear how long you plan to homeschool, why and how you came to that decision.
    Come on, give us a post!!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I love this post!! Besides the oh so annoying question of "how do you socialize them if they are at home all day" that I have been asked a bazillion times, the next most asked question I get is "how long are you going to do that for?"

Occasionally when the question of how long we plan to homeschool is brought up, it is done so with a genuine interest. Unfortunately, more often that not, I get questions like "what are you going to do when it's time for them to start high school?" The first time that was brought up, the only thing that went through my mind was "well...gee...since I have a 6 year old and a 1 year old, I guess I have a little time to plan that out, now don't I?" While we all have hopes for our kids, can anyone REALLY tell you what their children are going to be doing in 10 years, regardless of where or how they are educated??

To answer your question, my family definitely falls into the "one day at a time" and "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it" categories. We are a textbook definition of "Accidental Homeschoolers," which means we didn't start out knowing we were going to homeschool. Having said that, I surely won't predict how long we will continue to homeschool. Now I have a 10 year old and 5 year old and our homeschooling journey may have hit a few bumps in the road (and I know that there are many left in the road ahead!), but the journey itself is fantastic! You know that old adage... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" Well that's us. At least for now.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Thanks, Katie. I did mean the question in the "honest" sort of way. Of course, none of us knows what is going to happen tomorrow, much less 10 years from now, but you know that some people decide long before they are parents that they want to homeschool, for those people, it is probably more likely that they will be "lifers". Some people, like me, are so totally "accidental" as far as homeschooling goes, it makes it hard to see past the week. I must admit, I had not gotten the question of how long, but more often, why do I homeschool. No one has ever asked me about the "s word" (socialization). I guess I lucked out on that one!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Linda...I knew your question was of the honest interest sort, I guess I just needed to vent about all the times I heard that question asked by all the naysayers in my life, lol! I find myself inspired by those that know from the get go they want to homeschool and those that homeschool from K thru 12th grade!! While I have to admit to myself and to others that I don't know what the future holds in regards to homeschooling, I certainly HOPE that both my children and myself can continue to homeschool throughout high school!

Oh and by the way...you are most definitely lucky in having to never field questions about the dreaded "S" word! I envy you that...I was asked so many times in the first year that I literally had a "speech" that I rattled off word for word for each time I was asked.

Again, love the post and look forward to seeing how long others have committed themselves to homeschooling!!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Cailin'sMamma is offline Junior Member Newbie

I knew since before I ever even got pregnant that I wanted to try homeschooling. My husband would be happy either way as long as she is getting the right education. My family is very supportive of our decision but his family is completely against it. This is our first year and I'm so glad we found Time4Learning. As of right now the plan is to use T4L until she is ready for 9th. At that point we will probaby try to get her into Sussex Tech since my husband went there and it is a pretty good school. It's all going great so far and I hope we continue to have success w/ this program.
    And as far as the dreaded "S" word I get it all the time and I just point out that children learn most of their "good" social skills from the adults in their life and w/ 7 cousins all living very close and most of our friends have young children, it's not like she doesn't have other kids to play with. I hate that most of the time when I talk to people about homeschooling I find myself defending my decision. I don't critisize them for having their children in public school and I just wish people would be more respectfull about the whole thing. Sorry, had a little vent there lol.

You know that the definition of socialization is process by which children are instructed in the activites and mores of becoming an adult. I don't know how anyone can say that public school fills that definition or anything vaguely like it~
    Every day my child learns something that leads her on the path to becoming a successful adult. Sometimes that thing is how to respond politely to others, even if they are rude first, Sometimes it is, wow, I didn't know THAT bug turned into THIS bug when it grew up. It is amazing how many things we, as adults, know, and how much our children still need to learn to at least be where we are.
    We never mind "venting" here. It is always welcomed! Believe me, your vent is not the first or worst I've seen! Sometimes just the relief of letting a frustration out makes it all better.

Linda
    Rep, moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of 1 child for 4 years with Time4Learning~!