Know the Laws on homeschooling in Delaware
    MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Know the Laws on homeschooling in Delaware

I am not going to list the laws, rules, and regulations here, but I am going to give you a couple of links.
    Don't forget to review the laws and ensure that you have done what you need to to do legally homeschool in Delaware.
    Please find here Time4Learning's information page on homeschooling in Delaware.
    Additionally, a place that is good to find information is A-Z Home's Cool Delaware information page.
    If you have any questions or problems, or are unsure exactly what you need to do to homeschool in Delaware you could consult the Delaware Department of Education home school page.
    I hope that you will find these resources informative and help you begin your school year on the right foot!

Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

epperlyfamily2012 Guest

Default Law in DE page is old!!!

I just read through the Homeschool Laws in De page and noticed that is is OUT OF DATE. First of all, they no longer take the DSTP in DE, they take DCAS(this changed before LAST school year). Also, when I got the homeschool paperwork last summer(before deciding to send my kids to PCA) it specifically says that #2(single family homeschool with enrollment in public school) is NO LONGER BEING USED. This page needs to be updated if you're going to send people to it.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the update. I will check things out and see about submitting an update with Time4Learning. I apologize if you found the information lacking, remember that we are trying to provide information, but not legal advice.
    I will try to get an update submitted in the near future. Again, thanks for your input!

Here is a partial update:
    According to HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association), the law regarding homeschooling in Delaware for the 2011-2012 school year states that:
    1. There are three options for homeschooling in Delaware, those options include
    a)Single family
    b)Multiple family
    c) Single family coordinating with the public school
    2. Delaware does not have required testing for homeschoolers. (this is the same page from HSLDA, see all the way at the bottom). Since the legal assessment of HSLDA says standardized testing is not required for homeschoolers, whether the testing is called DSTP or DCAS is not significant to Delaware homeschoolers.

3. Delaware Student Testing Program (DSTP) was phased out in 2010 and 2011. It was replaced by Delaware Comprehensive Assessment System (DCAS) which is phased in for the 2011-2012 school year in most subjects and grades. Two notable differences between these two systems is a)the DSTP and DCAS are provided by different companies, and b) DSTP had no online testing, and DCAS does.

Delaware Department of Education website is not terribly forthcoming with information. So at this point, I have the DDOE website, and HSLDA to base the information that I pass to you all.

I would love to have other Delaware homeschoolers weigh in on this before I request any updates or changes to the T4L reference site.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MamaToHerRoo; 01-30-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!