should I have....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    shareacookie@gmail.com is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default should I have....

advanced my now 6th grader, even though she did not do well with her math and did not finish so of her language arts lessons. Overall, her score was 85%, which was acceptable for me since this was new to both of us, but what should I do about getting help for her in math? I am currently giving her 5th grade math

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Shareacookie...
    Sometimes a student needs to be advanced because seeing the grade level is more important than finishing every, single, last, solitary lesson
    With that being said, you can always go in and find the lesson number through the scope and sequence area and pick and choose lessons that she might need more help in from another grade. You have access to 3 grades at a time without changing levels. 5th grade math has a chapter at the end called Practice, and it has more problems in each category that your daughter can use to practice those things that are more difficult for her. Also, along the lines of giving her some extra practice in those areas of math she is having most trouble with,check out Learning Games for Kids. There are games there for most subjects, including math. Sometimes just reinforcing a lesson with something fun like a game can help her learn it.
    You say that she didn't d well with her math, but that the score was 85%. The rule at our house is 80% or repeat it. That's just us, but T4L grades 80 percent as acceptably completed. I know, I would love to see my child get straight 100 percents, but it is just not going to happen.
    I hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to post again if you have questions or just want to chat. Having someone to chat with that can understand what you are going through can be a great support.
    Let us know how things go!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

shareacookie Guest

Smile Thanks for your help

Thanks for your advice. I really want her to do well and keep up with the national average. Are there any state tests that i can give her to ensure that she's keeping up?

shareacookie Guest

Default thanks for your help

Is there a state test in Delaware that I can give my daughter to ensure she's keeping up with the national average?

I don't know of specific tests, though you an find places like Sylvan that will issue tests, as well as certain curricula, like Seton offer testing services. You might even be able to find something online if you google searched. The reality is that T4L is aligned with state and national standards, and I have found that my daughter (finishing 5th grade langauge arts, and doind 6th grade science, math) is generally learning concepts in T4L that are as much as a year ahead of what her public school peers would be studying. I feel confident that if my child learns what T4L offers,then she is on level or above. Hope that helped a little.
    Linda

epperlyfamily2012 Guest

Default State Tests In Delware

The public school students take DCAS(DE Computerized Assessment of Students maybe? not sure what it stands for). My daughter has been doing horribly after attending both Capital School District here in Dover and Providence Creek Academy in Clayton(charter school), so that is why we'll be using T4L as supplemental for the rest of this year and full time next year. The teachers just aren't working with her on stuff she needs that weren't taught in earlier grades, and I don't want her falling further behind.
    Melissa, Mary, and William(who may or may not be H/s next year, but we'll be using Lesson Pathways for him(free).

Thanks for you input, we appreciate it. It is good to know that you are using T4L as a supplimental, and planning to use full time next year.
    I was wondering if there was a reason to not go full time T4L now? I understand that families have a lot of things they must get lined up to be able to homeschool. I was just curious.

Happy supplimenting with T4L now, and homeschooling in the future!
    Let us know how things are going.
    Linda

Melissa Epperly Guest

Default why supplement public (charter) school for now...

HI. I am using T4L to supplement my daughter's education at PCA right now because we signed an agreement to keep her there for 1 full year when we signed up. This site has been INVALUABLE to her, as she went from a 1 on DCAS in Reading to a 3 (just took it for the last time last week) and a 1 in Math to a 2(missed a 3 by *1 POINT!!!*). 3 is "meet standards", but they are allowing students who didn't make 3s to retake them next Friday, and since she was SOOO close I am having her retake Math. She wasn't feeling well the week before last and thus missed 3 days of school, so I'm sure that's why she didn't get a 3 in Math, but we'll see. She's still not doing as well in math on T4L as she is in ELA/Reading, but that's ok, she's much further along than she was in September for SURE. Going to have her work on the 6th grade stuff over the summer and see if she can't handle 7th grade math by the fall. She got bored with the 6th grade social studies, so I went ahead and had her do 7th grade this week, which is American History, which is what interests her.

Hope your year is going great! Sorry I'm just responding, been crazy around here!
    Melissa and Mary in Dover

Glad to hear from you! It looks like your daughter is doing great! It makes sense that you are sticking with the Charter School because of contractual agreements.
    I love having access to 3 grades at a time in Time4Learning. It means that if we get burned out on social studies, or are ready to move on in science then we can switch up what grade we are doing to make things interesting. It is awesome to be in charge of my own daughter's education, pace, and educational content. The fact that I can individualize the curriculum for her means a lot!
    Never worry about a delay in responding, we will be here! Happy schooling....
    Linda

epperlyfamily2012 is offline Junior Member

Default Having great success with T4L full time!

Hi. I just wanted to update Mary's progress since we just starting doing it full time on T4L. Mary is currently working on 5th grade math(she was doing horribly on 6th grade stuff over the summer), 6th grade science(never learned alot of the stuff that's covered but that may change later this year), and 7th grade social studies(her favorite subject). My son, William, is doing traditional 'pencil and paper' homeschooling since we only have 1 computer and I don't want them fighting over the computer all day! So far he's finding the work I got way too EASY(he's head in both math and reading), but I don't want to just skip him ahead either. he hasn't learned multiplication and division yet, so no 3rd grade math yet. Hope your child is doing well!Melissa, Mary, and William in Dover

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast