Sick AND Tired!

Thread: Sick AND Tired!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Sick AND Tired!

Ok, homeschoolers, I am going to vent, get ready!
    I'm a taxpayer, really, and my taxes go to support public school, you know, things like books, classrooms, curricula, band, art, sports, foreign language programs. And, my child doesn't take advantage of those things because, well, she is homeschooled. But, I'm still taxed for them.
    Wait just a second! As I look back through the checkbook, hmm, I wrote a check for books, mortgage (let us call it "classroom" for purpose of this illustration), T4L (ok, credit card), piano lessons, art lessons, Tae Kwon Do, Spanish class....didn't I already pay for this stuff once? (looking back at my tax returns) YEP! I've already paid for this stuff once...err....make that twice!
    I'm sick and tired of paying for it twice. I think I should get a tax break, or an allowance. How much money is the state/county allowing for each public school child? I'll tak half that amount as a tax credit, or as a cash allowance to purchase things for my homeschool. How does that sound?
    Anyone else sick and tired? Let us hear from you. What do you think of this idea? Is it a pipe dream?
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

Hello, I'm not from Delaware but face the exact same thing in CT.

Let me tell you.. I don't want a tax break or a tax credit or an allowance or anything. Here is why.
    First, people with no children to take advantage of what the school systems have have to pay the same taxes I do. If I get a break then they should too. If we all got breaks the schools/towns would go bankrupt.
    Second, I feel it is my duty as a citizen to contribute to the well being of society. My tax dollars ensure future doctors/lawyers/policemen/store clerks are educated enough to provide those services to me as time goes on.
    Third, if they start offering me as a homeschooler tax breaks of some sort... they'll want a bigger say in what I'm doing in my home with my children and their education. No thank you!

It stinks, I hear you! I have felt the same way. Our taxes But MOST of what you wrote in your list (mortgage, piano, art, Tae Kwon Do) you'd be paying for whether your kid was in school or not. Those things are not offered in school, at least around here.

I would like schools to have to allow homeschoolers access to some things though. Especially after school activities like sports or what have you. That to me seems like a no brainer!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Excellent points! Thanks for chiming in. Maybe I didn't think this thing through all the way (was doing bills, and cringing at the cost of the enhamncements to the daughter's education). This is certainly more complicated than it appeared on first blush.

Ok, I will give you that I would probably pay for the things on my list anyway, but my point was, that if art, music, and organized sports (piano, art, and Tae Kwon Do in our case) were available for homeschoolers through the school system (the one we pay for but do not utilize, by our own choice) then I might not have to suppliment. And, I will give you the citizen/duty thing, where we should all contribute to the well being of society, but do you ever feel like you are contributing more, financially, than is comfortable? Also, I certainly don't want the government any more "up in my business" than they have to be, but I think I could get a tax break. People get tax breaks for home offices, they can take deductions for part of the facilities (part of the mortgage) and other business expenses for their home office. I just think there should be a break for home school.

As for the people with no children having to pay for school through taxes....I will just throw my hands up on that one, without their dollars the schools would go belly up. But paying for schools seems even more unfair for people who don't have children. Wow, points to ponder, certainly.

There are many things we get that public schoolers do not, benefits that are worth more than money could buy. Security, some semblence of control over where our children are and what they are learning, and relationships with our children than no public school could give to parents. We have a saying at our house, every time we see an incident on the news that is bad regarding school, or a school bus. We point at the television and say, " See, reason 975 why we homeschool." Hmmm, maybe I'll talk more about that one in a different post....

Thanks for your input, let the debate continue!!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!