Welcome to the Delaware Forum!
    MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Welcome to the Delaware Forum!

Time4Learning is happy to provide a forum for homeschoolers in individualstates to connect with one another. Please use this forum to find members nearyou, ask each other state-related questions, and post information about localhomeschool events.

Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default new to homeschooling

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToHerRoo View Post

Time4Learning is happy to provide a forum for homeschoolers in individualstates to connect with one another. Please use this forum to find members nearyou, ask each other state-related questions, and post information about localhomeschool events.
    My daughter attends a charter school in Delaware (9th grade)I want to pull her out and homeschool her, since school years has started, am I allowed to do this?

lac.ddclc is offline Member

Originally Posted by Unregistered

"My daughter attends a charter school in Delaware (9th grade)I want to pull her out and homeschool her, since school years has started, am I allowed to do this?"

Absolutely. You can start homeschooling with your daughter whenever you are ready. You will need to register your homeschool with the Delaware Department of Education then take the acknowledgement form the DOE provides to the charter school to withdraw your daughter. Here is a link to the Nonpublic (i.e. Homeschool) page of the Delaware DOE:

Nonpublic Schools / Frequently Asked Questions

Here is some information from the page that might help you:

How do I register as a homeschool in Delaware?

You must register your homeschool first, on line, with the Delaware Department of Education (DDOE). Here are the options:

Single Family Homeschool - The education of one's own child(ren) primarily by the parent(s) or guardian(s) of such child(ren) mainly in their own residence. You can start the process by going to the
    Nonpublic School Access page.

Multi-Family Homeschool - Educating children, primarily by the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of such children mainly in one or several residences, or other facilities, when such children are not all related to each other as brother or sister. A person shall act as a liaison to the DOE for reporting purposes. You can start the process by going to the Nonpublic School Access page.

How do I withdraw my student from public school?
    Once your homeschool is registered and active you are required to take the acknowledgement form to the school to withdraw your student. Public schools will not allow a withdrawal without this form.

Once you complete the registration form, you will see a page acknowledging that your school has been opened. This acknowledgement contains your school code, school name, student names and the date the school opened. This document is what you will provide when withdrawing your child from public school.

If you have any questions or concerns, here is the contact information of the current Nonpublic Schools Coordinator:

Suzanne Hamel
    (302)735-4140
    [email protected]

Currently the only reporting required in Delaware for each student enrolled in a homeschool is attendance (for a minimum 180-day school year) and grade. Once your homeschool is registered, attendance reports are required by the end of July, then enrollment for the following school year is due in the beginning of October. You have full control over curriculum and pacing. Since my son is now taking high school level courses, I updated his enrollment status this year from Ungraded Primary Program to Ungraded Secondary Program. I like the ungraded option because he is more comfortable going his own pace.

Best of luck to you!

Leigh Ann
    Last edited by lac.ddclc; 10-14-2015 at 12:20 PM.