Are you trying anything new this year?
    Eclecticmom is offline Member Regular

Default Are you trying anything new this year?

New curriculum?
    New style?
    New tool?
    Share what you are doing differently this year and why you chose it!

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Are you trying anything new this year?

We will be trying to read more. I am the worst at reading to my kids and I have to make time to do it. We are also adding a word of the day and maybe a foreign language. Thats about it. The rest is staying the same........I *think!
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

Have you ever tried the Pizza Hut Book It program as a reading incentive? Registration has already passed but it says they are taking new enrollment while supplies last. Or maybe create your own incentive program? If the kids are motivated, maybe they will remind you more to read to them.

http://www.bookitprogram.com/Enrollment/homeschool.asp

ASLMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

We watch a lot of PBS around here. During Ken Burns documentary about our National Parks he focuses a lot on John Muir who I believe is a national hero. As they review his life I was surprised at how my kids had no context.

We've set up a giant timeline down the hallway using a tickertape from the dollar store. Then we blocked out major events like WWI, WW2, Civil War, etc...

Now as we are reading and learning about other things we put markers up on our timeline. Especially people. Henry Ford, born in Civil War, died at WW2. This is really helping them to put things into context.

Ah, and the flu epidemic which killed far more people than WW1.

Thanks for the suggestions ASLmom!

I love the idea of a timeline. I have seen some really great timelines in other homeschoolers homes. Maybe I should start now?!
    We don't do much PBS here, but I am constantly amazed at what my kids have picked up from tv, like Discovery Channel.