advice for ADHD/Dyslexic child
    lwscarborough is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default advice for ADHD/Dyslexic child

I have a 10yo son with ADHD/Dyslexia. He failed third and repeated last year. He did ok but no real improvement. He does fine in math and loves the natural sciences. IQ is fine - maybe a little above average. He has been "beaten down" by public education system and I quite simply feel that the system has done more harm than good for him. He suffers with low self-esteem issues (which he is in counseling for). So....we are deciding to home school. We are in Duval county. Does anyone have any advice or similiar experiences/outcomes that might prove beneficial to us in our journey to educate our bright and inquisitive son? Thanks- Lisa

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Lisa,

My DD (14) has ADHD and Dyslexia as well as CAPD and Dysgraphia. T4L has been very good for her. She has been using it for just over 2 years. I don't have her do every subject every day due to the ADHD. I have a simple chart she follows: Monday--Science, Math, Language Extensions Tuesday--History, Art, Math Wednesday--Language Arts, Math, Science Thursday--Science, History, Language Extensions Friday--Math, Art, History

She is allowed to pick and choose the lessons within each subject. I keep track with the report feature. She doesn't always complete everything in one sitting. She works off and on throughout the day.

Hope this helps.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Great advice, Jackie! Thanks!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

My 11yo is aspie and there for has a lot of adhd issues. I give him control of what assignments he does when ... as long as he completes his list every week. It is sooo very helpful and cuts down a lot on arguments
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

My son is 12 and he too is dyslexic, deals with dysgraphia, and he is ADD. I have learned to allow him timed breaks in between each assignment so he does not get to overwhelmed. This has worked well for him, and may work for your child as well. I also have his schedule shorter (the same as another parent suggested). My son was held back in 3rd grade, and is in 5th now, but his reading level is just now at a 3-4 grade and Math is at a 4th grade. He needs intense one on one attention, and the school system did not offer that to him. So, this is our first FULL year homeschooling.

I hope you have a successful year!