Annual Evaluation Question
    Unregistered Guest

Question Annual Evaluation Question

Hi,

My son has completed his work for 1st grade and it is now time for his evaluation. I have a friend who is a state certified teacher in FL, but she has never done a review for a homeschool child. What does she have to turn in? Does she write a letter saying she looked at his portfolio, records, etc. and says whether or not he passed? Is there some form she has to fill out? Thank you in advance for any advice!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome! According to the Florida homeschool laws, the evaluation "must include review of a portfolio and discussion with the student." If I'm not mistaken, it's not a pass or fail thing, but they do want to see progress. There are no forms posted that I can find about what the evaluator has to submit to the school board. I would honestly contact your local district (or have your friend that will be doing the evaluation contact them) and simply ask them what they'd like from you.

Hope that helped, at least a little.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Unregistered Guest

Default Annual Eval

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi,

My son has completed his work for 1st grade and it is now time for his evaluation. I have a friend who is a state certified teacher in FL, but she has never done a review for a homeschool child. What does she have to turn in? Does she write a letter saying she looked at his portfolio, records, etc. and says whether or not he passed? Is there some form she has to fill out? Thank you in advance for any advice!
    I do not know what county you are in, however, Broward County provides a specific form that a certified teacher can fill out. Contact your local school boards home education department and they may be able to provide you with one. Broward County's form can be found online on the Broward County Public School's website under the home education dept.

lucigo is offline Junior Member

I asked my neighbor if she could do ours and she looked into it, and was told by our county that there is an approved list of teachers who can do the evaluation. That goes against everything I have read. I'm going to talk out our psychologist and see if she will write a letter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lucigo View Post
    I asked my neighbor if she could do ours and she looked into it, and was told by our county that there is an approved list of teachers who can do the evaluation. That goes against everything I have read. I'm going to talk out our psychologist and see if she will write a letter.
    Yeah, that's odd. I'm sorry you're having trouble. Hopefully your psychologist will turn out to be a better option...
    Katie

Unregistered Guest

Cool fl homeschool evaluations

Quote Originally Posted by bailbrae View Post
    Yeah, that's odd. I'm sorry you're having trouble. Hopefully your psychologist will turn out to be a better option...
    There are more than just an evaluation that must be done for Florida children whom are home schooled. Either a state approved teacher and or certified person will test the child or he or she must take the FCATS or he or she must be evaluated by a certified by a clinical psychologists. Florida is one of the stronger states in which do have different laws governing homeschooling and the end of the year testing and passing of adequate knowledge. I, myself am in my 3rd year of elementary education and will be starting my internship of teaching and trying to home school but when we got stationed here in Florida, I just googled Florida laws on homeschooling and found they were a lot more harder on the kids, which is good for those parents who do just keep their kids hoe but harder on those who are trying our best and know our children and their knowledge, they may just not test well, like mine. Good luck to you all!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    There are more than just an evaluation that must be done for Florida children whom are home schooled. Either a state approved teacher and or certified person will test the child or he or she must take the FCATS or he or she must be evaluated by a certified by a clinical psychologists. Florida is one of the stronger states in which do have different laws governing homeschooling and the end of the year testing and passing of adequate knowledge. I, myself am in my 3rd year of elementary education and will be starting my internship of teaching and trying to home school but when we got stationed here in Florida, I just googled Florida laws on homeschooling and found they were a lot more harder on the kids, which is good for those parents who do just keep their kids hoe but harder on those who are trying our best and know our children and their knowledge, they may just not test well, like mine. Good luck to you all!!
    Hello and welcome! Thanks for chiming in!

I did just want to clarify...an annual evaluation IS an option allowed by the state, and it does not require any testing. If you check the Florida homeschool laws at HSLDA, you'll see this option (under where it says Standardized Tests, this is option #1):

"Have educational progress evaluated by a teacher holding a valid regular Florida teaching certificateand selected by the parent. The evaluation must include review of a portfolio and discussion with the
    student;"

It can be confusing, lol, but I just want to make sure that things are clear and everyone understands that a test is NOT necessarily required. Thanks again, for chiming in!
    Katie

Cai
    Cai is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi.. Thanks for this thread cause I am also a newbie here. My son & I moved here from the Philippines just a year ago & homeschooling is really new to us. My husband told me my son needs evaluation before he goes to another grade level, but our school district did not help him when he asked for any certified teacher that they could recommend. I am quite puzzled because I read also a thread about "Evaluation" with this link; FL Homeschool Evaluations - Florida Certified Teacher/Evaluator, Standardized Test Adminstrator. Does it mean we have the options if we would hire an evaluator or not?

[/URL]

Blog Entries

Hi Cai! Yes, you can choose who you wish to evaluate your son, and the evaluator listed in the link above has been recommended several times. If you don't want to go with him, just make sure that whoever you choose holds a valid regular Florida teaching certificate, as per the Florida homeschool laws. If you don't want to do an evaluation, there are other options. Just make sure you read the laws, and you can contact your local school board. They may be able to recommend an option to you.
    Katie