College Issues

Thread: College Issues

Unregistered Guest

Exclamation College Issues

Hello homeschooling parents I am posting this to see if anyone has any advice or information.

I'm 18 and officially done with homeschooling I'm originally from new jersey where there is no need to inform anyone of your wish to home-school and no documents need to be signed and shown according to the states home-school page. I moved to Florida started 10th grade my mother applied for a transfer and I never went back to a state high school and started home-school. I know as much as my friends I got my GED and I already took the SAT and ACT I plan to start community college and transfer with less than 60 credits.
    With less than 60 credits I have to submit my home-school transcripts and I don't know if they will be accepted or not.

I am feeling lost without direction, what can I do since I never received any official papers stating I am a home-school student from the state of Florida nor did I inform anyone of my plans to home-school.
    Am I just totally out of luck any advice or info would be to die for thank you.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

You mention you started homeschooling, but you don't mention what curriculum you used. Did you use Time4Learning? Because if you did, T4L has a progress report that you can use to create your high school transcript. But whatever curriculum you used, you can create a high school transcript with all your high school curriculum and credits listed. Time4Learning's progress reports just makes it easier to prepare a transcript.

Let's Homeschool high school has a lot of wonderful information, including free templates you can use to create your own transcript. You can also contact your local homeschool support group and see if they know of someone who can create a transcript for you, if you feel more comfortable having someone experienced in that do it for you.

FloridaHomeschoolHelp.com is also another good source of information. I'm sure they can help guide you or create a transcript for you.

I hope these help.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Unregistered Guest

Default Thread Starter

Hello I'm the thread starter Here. Thank you for the links but, I wanted to know would a college accept my homeschool transcript without proof from florida that I was being homeschooled.

Sorry can't figure out how to word my question , Hope it makes sense.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

I understand you were not registered in Florida as a homeschooled student, and that you were homeschooled here in Florida starting at 10th grade (15 years old?). According to Florida State Homeschool law, you must be registered as a homeschooler between the ages of 6 and 16 if you are not in a public or private school. I do not know if the college will verify that you were registered as a homeschooled student or if they will just accept the transcript.

I do not know the answer to your question. But you can contact Florida Homeschool Help. They would know and can definitely give you some guidance. It's what they do. The Homeschool Legal Defense Association should also be able to answer that for you.

I remember having to include my Letter of Completion that I submitted to the school board when my daughter graduated homeschool high school here in Florida, in addition to her transcript.

Please, if you could, come back and let me know what the outcome is. Best wishes to you!!
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Unregistered Guest

Default I'm the op

Thank you for the help/links

MarcellaFL is offline Junior Member

I see this is a little old but for what it is worth - many universities offer the option of home school affidavit signed by the student's parent/legal guardian attesting to the fact that the applicant has completed a home education program pursuant to the requirements of F.S. 1002.41, F.S., with the name of the county public school district to which the applicant is assigned. Your GED transcript may be enough as well. You really need to look at the UNiversity you want to transfer in. If you could transfer in with 60 credits or an AA it could alleviate your problems.