Do I place my son in first or second grade for language arts??
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Unregistered

Thread: Do I place my son in first or second grade for language arts??

Melody1 Guest

Default Do I place my son in first or second grade for language arts??

My son is eight years old. He is supposed to be in the second grade in public school. He has a reading disability and written expression disorder. He had an IEP last year and we had him repeat first grade last year. We pulled him out of public school and home schooled this year. He is on grade level with science, math and social studies. The second grade language arts and ILR looked too hard. But, I dont want him to be behind if we put him back in public school next year. Is there some type of placement test he can take?

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Melody.
    I hope you were able to find a solution to placing your son. I have a daughter who is below grade level because of her learning disability, but I place her according to her learning abilities. I know if she were in school she'd be in a much higher grade level. At the same time, though, she wouldn't be learning like she is at home using Time4Learning at her appropriate grade level for her and with one on one attention.
    My suggestion would be to place him in the 1st grade level for Language Arts. He could move along at his best pace. He may be able to move along quickly and catch up to his grade level. You are able to make grade changes from your parent admin page. He would also have access to a grade level above the grade you choose for him. So if you choose 2nd grade Language Arts, he'll have access to 1st and 3rd grade. So you could have him do a couple of lessons of 1st grade a day, and maybe add a lesson or two of 2nd grade a week. Just a thought.

This would be a great question for one of the other forums. The state forums are mostly for members who want to share about events that are local for homeschoolers or for connecting with other homeschoolers in their area.

I'd love to hear what you've decided to do and how he's doing.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lovehmschlg3 View Post
    Hi, Melody.
    I hope you were able to find a solution to placing your son. I have a daughter who is below grade level because of her learning disability, but I place her according to her learning abilities. I know if she were in school she'd be in a much higher grade level. At the same time, though, she wouldn't be learning like she is at home using Time4Learning at her appropriate grade level for her and with one on one attention.
    My suggestion would be to place him in the 1st grade level for Language Arts. He could move along at his best pace. He may be able to move along quickly and catch up to his grade level. You are able to make grade changes from your parent admin page. He would also have access to a grade level above the grade you choose for him. So if you choose 2nd grade Language Arts, he'll have access to 1st and 3rd grade. So you could have him do a couple of lessons of 1st grade a day, and maybe add a lesson or two of 2nd grade a week. Just a thought.

This would be a great question for one of the other forums. The state forums are mostly for members who want to share about events that are local for homeschoolers or for connecting with other homeschoolers in their area.

I'd love to hear what you've decided to do and how he's doing.

Hello,

Thanks so much for the reply. Boy, have my views changed over the last nine weeks. I decided to start him back at the beginning of first grade. I have since hired a speech therapist and had extensive placement testing done on him. Both confirmed that I made the correct decision. After just one week of school Tyler said, "Mom, I used to really dumb at my old school. But, I'm really smart, now." That melted my heart. I realized at that moment that it doesnt matter what "grade" my son is technically in for homeschool. The thing that matters is that he's learning. His reading and spelling have improved more in the last none weeks than they did both years of first grade. I am sooo pleased. He lets me know if the material is too easy because he starts getting "antsy" and standing on his head. I take his cues and follow his direction
    lovehmschlg likes this.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Aww, Melody. It sounds like you and your son are doing great. I'm so happy to read your reply. It melted my heart to read what he said to you. Homeschooling is going to be a sweet experience for both of you...sure, tough days are always around the corner, but you're doing this together and he'll be successful at his best pace.

Since you mentioned spelling, this is a fun website for spelling that he might like. You can purchase the premium memberships for only $30 a year, but it also has a free option with a lot of fun spelling games and activities. SpellingCity.com

See you around the forums!
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass