Does anyone use this curriculum solely for homeschool?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ButlerFam

Thread: Does anyone use this curriculum solely for homeschool?

New to HOmeschooling Guest

Default Does anyone use this curriculum solely for homeschool?

Hi,

I love this curriculum so far. I have an eight year-old son and he is in the second grade. But, he has a reading disability that requires some remedial work. I ordered a workbook from Handwriting without Tears. Other than that, I am hoping to use this as my sole curriculum. I just want to make sure that I am meeting all his needs with the Florida school curriculum. Does anyone out there use just this program?

Thanks,
    Laura

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Laura. We've been using Time4Learning for several years now. My daughter really enjoys the animated and interactive lessons. She has a learning disability. So she is working at different grade levels, which is one of the things we love most about Time4Learning. I can tell you that she is definitely progressing from year to year, which is all you need to satisfy Florida homeschooling requirements. We're so happy with T4L!

Some families use Time4Learning as their sole curriculum, while other choose to supplement (usually science and social studies). I find that the Language Arts and Math are very comprehensive, so other than some hands-on games or using the printable worksheets which are included with the program, we do not supplement those two subjects. We supplement mostly with educational movies, field trips and hands-on activities like lapbooking. I've added a link about lapbooking from the T4L site, but you can also get ideas from other sources, like Pinterest, if there's a lesson you or your son want to dig into deeper or make more concrete in understanding. We also do a lot of reading and copywork. I think reading is so important. It's the foundation of learning and creates self-learners. And for copy work, I'll just use an excerpt of a book we're reading and have her copy. This is for handwriting, grammar, spelling and punctuation practice. That's about it.
    I just want to mention that my daughter also struggled with learning to read because of her disability/challenge, and I found a reading program that was wonderful called Phono-Graphix. Their website has reading therapists who use the program. So we hired one for a few months, can she just took off. She's an avid reader now. This book, Reading Reflex, was written by the creator of Phono-Graphix and she explains how the method and how to use it if you wanted to teach him yourself. You can also find a video on YouTube that shows how it works.

Well, welcome to Time4Learning. I look forward to seeing you around the forums. You'll find everyone here is really friendly and helpful.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

ButlerFam is offline Junior Member Newbie

I have been using T4L as our main curriculum for the past 5 years. I think it is amazing. The lessons are great and now they have some great tools to help the kids track their progress with the new activity scheduler. Used to be I had to create a complex grid in excel for them to track what assignments they needed to do, but now it is so much easier with the Activity Scheduler. The only thing that is missing IMO is writing elements, but we have used T4W and it was great as well. Good luck!
    lovehmschlg likes this.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, ButlerFam.

We've been using T4L for 5 years too. I really haven't used the activity scheduler, but I'm thinking of giving it a try this year. Especially after reading your post.
    We're in South Florida, near Fort Lauderdale. Have you visited some of the other forums here? I'm sure after using T4L for 5 years, you probably have some great input to share with some of the new members.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums more.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

raevon1971 Guest

Cool in Panama City, FL (Bay Co.)

This is the third year we have been using T4L for our son. He is in 6th grade. I use this as his base and add extra books as necessary for better understanding (if need be). He is quite advanced in certain subjects like math. That is why he wanted to go ahead and do "honors algebra" AND I adjusted his regular math to "7th grade" because the 6th grade level looked like a repeat of 5 grade. The only subject he doesn't care for is Social Studies. The material is fine, but his interest in this subject lacks. Otherwise, he is eager to do his work. Time4Learning is great! I keep weekly reports that I can go to at the end of the year to see what progress he has made, then turn in samples of those from the beginning of the year to the end of the year for his annual homeschool evaluation, which is required here in Florida. It is quite simple.
    ~Carla

Unregistered Guest

Thank you all for your feedback. I really appreciate it I am new to homeschooling and doubt myself alot.