Does FL accept T4L program?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Does FL accept T4L program?

Gia
    Gia is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Does FL accept T4L program?

My daughter will be 5 this month, and I am interested in homeschooling her but I am so clueless as where to start. I was thinking of K12 but I am not sure If I want to use that, I would rather use the T4L. I read on this site to review my state's legal requirements before choosing any program, which I have but I am not sure if FL does accept the T4L , I am a little confused , and would like to know if anyone else knows the answer?

Thanks so much,
    Gia

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Gia.
    Welcome to homeschooling and T4L. We live in Broward county, Florida. We've been homeschooling 12 years and using T4L for 4 years. Our daughter loves the interactive and animated lessons here.

You are able to choose any curriculum you like for your child/student. So, yes, you can use T4L. As a matter of fact, T4L is used by a lot of the public schools here! In a nutshell, you basically need to send a Letter of Intent to Homeschool to your county school board. I would send it certified mail. Then every year after that, on the month that you sent that letter, you need to send a Progress Report. A progress report is given to you by a certified teacher whom you choose to test or evaluate your child/student at the end of the school year. You can get a list of certified teachers who offer these services from your local homeschool support group. There are many homeschoolers who are also certified teachers who do this.

Our Florida Parent-Educators Association has a lot of information that you may find helpful at their website, such as the requirements for homeschooling, your local support groups, information on the annual homeschool convention, and so much more.

Lastly, let me give you the link to the Helps and Tips for T4L. T4L is very easy to navigate and there is so much helpful information and links to additional resources. I hope you get the time to just peek around at all the links and resources at your fingertips here. If you have any questions, please ask away. We're all happy to help!
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

I am not sure if your asking if Florida will pay for the T4L program or if they accept the curriculum? I just started this evening with T4L as a supplement to the FLVS (Florida Virtual School) program which is free. Just this is easier to understand for one of my son's who is very behind due to medical complications over the years.

Unregistered Guest

Default T4l

I'm curious who out side of the homeschool family has access to your child's work in T4L?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

No one has access to your child's report except the person with the password. This is usually the parent who set up the account, and the student himself. Time4Learning does not report scores or progress to any third party.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

pambam is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Gia,
    The most important thing you need to consider after you send your certified letter to the home school office is record keeping. You want to keep a good portfolio of your daughter's work. I would not concern yourself about what the State will accept as far as using T4Learning. I think what you are actually concerned about is the fact that they are not accredited. This does not really matter at this point (elementary and middle school) You can teach her any way you would like. As long as you are meeting the State's requirement for time spent in school. That all comes down to record keeping. Time 4 Learning is the absolutely best site I know of for records and it tracks everything your child does. If I want to know what grade my child got on the test they took 5 min ago I can go on the records and look. The grade will be their. If my child got a low grade I can look and see exactly how much time they spent on the chapter. If I see something like 2 min.....they will re-do the chapter. The record keeping is so simple with t4l that all you have to do is print it out and put it in your portfolio! Keep in mind that aside from your online learning program, many other things can be documented in your portfolio for your required hours in school. My Son takes dance classes. I document this. It is good for P.E. or for Fine Arts. Did your child cook dinner with you? This can be documented as a cooking class. Going to the Beach? Take a book on shells and find some and have your child identify your finds. This is also learning! Take photos and document! When your child finally reaches High School age, accreditation does not usually matter either. If your child is going to take the GED test then it doesn't matter where she learned....it matters that she passes the GED test. I myself use a private Umbrella School which offers diplomas. Time 4 Learning is one of their suggested curriculum's! So their are many avenues to take. You are the parent and part of the Glory of Home Schooling is choosing how YOU want your child to learn! Also, if you want to avoid those yearly evaluations and the costs that come with them their are many Private Umbrella Schools in the State of Florida. Some are free. I use "Florida Unschoolers" for my children that are not in High School. You will need to send some documentation to them that is required for private schools such as shot records and birth certificates. After you are enrolled your child is now considered a Private School Student. Thereafter you only need to turn in hours spent in school at the end of every semester. They will keep the records. Hope this was helpful!

Elexxsis is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question... If we have submitted the intent to homeschool with the Superintendant of the School District, should we still be under an umbrella school, or something like Florida Unschoolers?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Elexxsis, here is something from the Florida Department of Education. Item #5 explains the difference between a home education program (homeschooling) and an umbrella school. If you have submitted an Intent to Homeschool form, then you have chosen to homeschool independently and do not need an umbrella school.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: Does FL accept T4L program?

What is an umbrella school then?