Evaluation Questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lucigo

Thread: Evaluation Questions

lucigo is offline Junior Member

Default Evaluation Questions

Hi everyone, I'm planning to use T4L this fall with my son (9) with autism. We have started doing just one lesson a day over the summer just to make sure it will work well for him. I have a couple of evaluation questions. I also have a 17yo homeschooling through FLVS.

1. Can my husband (a certified teacher) evaluate my son?

2. If he isn't completely done with the curriculum by the end of the year can we just show progress, or will they expect him to graduate "on time" at the end.

3. Will I need to somehow keep his IEP up to date?

4. We may be moving, but keeping our home in Florida at least until we know for SURE that it is a permanent move. At what point would I be in trouble with the other state if I don't change his residency. I would prefer to keep him registered as a Florida homeschooler.

Thank you, I know these aren't normal situations!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome! I am looking at these Florida homeschool laws, and you may have a different option available to you, if your husband is a certified teacher...

Most homeschooling families operate under "Option 1." This is the option under which the standardized testing requirements fall. But if your husband is a certified teacher, you have "Option 3" available to you. That might provide a little more flexibility when it comes to evaluations and testing. If you don't want to go the route of option 3, I don't see anywhere in the laws that states a family member CAN'T administer a standardized test or do an evaluation...just that they have to be certified. I would check with your local school board, just to make sure...

Unfortunately, I don't really know anything about IEPs, so I can't really provide any help there. :/

I would think you would have to register your children in a home study program only once your move becomes permanent. If you stay long enough to change over your Driver's License, then that would be when you registered them in your new state. As long as you are maintaining temporary residency, you should be able to keep him registered in Florida. Granted, I can't give legal advice, so if you guys stay six months or more in your new state and you still haven't decided if the move is going to stick, I would contact the school board in the new state to see what they will require of you.

I don't know that I helped much, lol, but I hope I did...at least a little. Maybe some of our other great members will chime in with their experiences.

Please keep us posted as to how things are going with your family!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

lucigo is offline Junior Member

Thank you for your input. Our school district said her stepdad could not do the evaluation, so, for this year, I have a 17yo who has done a couple of homeschool classes and a few FLVS classes, so I asked my neighbor if she could do the evaluation. The district told her that there is a list of approved teachers that we have to go from! That just goes against everything I have read, and I think its wrong information. I am going to ask her psychologist to write a letter as I want to retain her. It was a complicated medical year for her and we would like more time so that she can complete more classes before she graduates, although she did very well in the classes that she did complete. I hope the district will allow this.

I hadn't considered the option 3, thank you for bringing that up, I will definitely ask about it and see if its a possibility. My husband has an ESE K-12 cert so there is no reason they shouldn't allow him to be our son's teacher.
    bailbrae likes this.