First-Time Homeschooler!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lovehmschlg
  • 1 Post By SunshineMommy

Thread: First-Time Homeschooler!

BoandGin is offline Junior Member

Default First-Time Homeschooler!

Hello all!

I am homeschooling for the first time this year, and I'm very excited to watch my daughter grow through the second grade! I have a question: Everything I've read with statues says I just have to notify the school board of my intent to homeschool. I did send a letter of intent to the superintendent via certified mail. My question is, since she did attend public school for kindergarten and first grade, do I need to formally withdraw her from school as well or does the letter of intent serve to do that?

Thanks for your input! I'm looking forward to meeting other homeschoolers in our area (Tallahassee).

~Ginger~.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Ginger. In reading the Florida Education Code For Homeschooling, I don't see anything that requires homeschoolers, by law, to notify the public school the child attended. The Letter of Intent to the District School Superintendent of the County is all that is required, which you have done. I've heard people sent a copy of their Letter of Intent with a note to their school, but I don't think it is necessary.
    BoandGin likes this.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

BoandGin is offline Junior Member

Thank you!

SunshineMommy is offline Junior Member

Hello Ginger, I was in Palm Beach and I am now in Miami. From my experience, the county will ask you to withdraw your child from the school and then fill out the homeschool form or send a letter with intent to homeschool. I think this is to keep school records straight.
    Sandra_Shoffner likes this.

yuleisi.cardenas is offline Junior Member

Hi Sunshine Mommy:

Both of my daughters (age 11 &12) are now enrolled in T4L since Oct 5th,2015. We are not part of any groups yet, but I would like to arrange a filed trip and perhaps I can get some much needed guidance in the process. Please let me know if you are up for it. My email is [email protected] Thank you in advance and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

yuleisi.cardenas is offline Junior Member

Hi Ginger:

Both of my daughters (age 11 &12) are now enrolled in T4L since Oct 5th,2015. We are not part of any groups yet, but I would like to arrange a filed trip and perhaps I can get some much needed guidance in the process. Please let me know if you are up for it. My email is [email protected] Thank you in advance and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yuli

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineMommy View Post
    Hello Ginger, I was in Palm Beach and I am now in Miami. From my experience, the county will ask you to withdraw your child from the school and then fill out the homeschool form or send a letter with intent to homeschool. I think this is to keep school records straight.
    Hi Sunshine mommy, I am in Miami also. I made the decision today to homeschool my son who currently attends a charter school. Do i notify the school, and wait for a response from them and then send my letter of intent to the state? Then what is my next step