FLVS vs Time 4 Learning
    Unregistered Guest

Question FLVS vs Time 4 Learning

I currently have my two daughters enrolled in the homeschool-version of FLVS with the promise of them being able to work at their own pace. However, they are being rushed into getting assignments in by a certain date or they would be dropped out of a class; thus creating all sorts of stress for not only them but me as well because there is nothing I can do while I am working half the day away.

So my questions are:

1. Will my girls be able to work at their own pace through T4L with no teachers breathing down their backs?

2. How would I go about switching my girls from FLVS to T4L if I want to go this route?

Thanks in advance!!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi! My daughter took a Spanish class through FLVS a few years ago and ended up dropping it because she was being rushed too. I don't know if it's changed, but it sounds like it hasn't.

Time4Learning absolutely allows students to work at their own pace. I love that because we're at different levels in different subjects and I don't want to stress my daughter out by just doing the work to get it done. I like that she's able to repeat lessons if she has to and to do her work to learn, not just to get it done.

As to dropping out of FLVS, I don't know how it's done now. They've made some changes in the last year. You should contact them to let them know you'd like to withdraw, but also ask if there are any consequences. I know they keep a record with the school board of the work being done. I tried to Google it, but, again, I don't know how recent the information is on the internet.

With Time4Learning, they just provide the lessons, but the record-keeping is our responsibility. So our kids work at their own pace. While T4L tracks the student's work, it is not reported to anyone. The progress reports are for our own benefit. We can print them for our own records. Also, it's a month to month membership. So if at anytime you want to drop, there are no consequences. Basically, as a homeschooler, you have the freedom to do what you want, yet you have the benefit of having lessons that are already planned and having your students' work tracked for your records through a personal progress report.

I hope this helps.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

MarcellaFL is offline Junior Member

I homeschool using FLVS part time. I sign my children for 1 term at a time for the classes I want. You have 2 weeks to drop with no repercussions. Student is expected to turn in 3 - 4 assignments per week to stay on pace for a 16-18 week term. If you go too many days with no assignment the teacher will contact you. After 21 days your student is dropped and the grade is an F until they retake it. I have had very accommodating teachers. My daughter is currently on something crazy for Algebra 2 because she does a lot of Scouting events and we travel a lot yet the teacher has been great and understanding. FLVS PT works great for our family.