Ft Lauderdale Region Worthwhile Educational Visits
    JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

Default Ft Lauderdale Region Worthwhile Educational Visits

There's a homeschooling mom visiting us in Ft Lauderdale and she's interested in local sites worth visiting. I started to pull this together and thought I should should also post it somewhere. So here it is even though it's slightly off topic and not really finished.

Book Suggestion for People Visiting the Keys.
    My biggest suggestion since they are going to go down to the Florida Keys and are already pretty expert in birds is that they should read Last Train to Paradise. It's a book by Les Standiford about the amazing story of Henry Flagler (which was totally unknown by me) and his building of the railroad all the way down the coast of Florida and across the Keys to what was then (this is the early 1900s) the largest city in Florida: Key West. It's an amazing story. He created the cities of Miami and Palm Beach, a series of Florida land bubbles and busts, and some amazing hotels including the Breakers in Palm Beach and the Ponce de León Hotel in Miami.

Sites to Visit around Ft Lauderdale.

Ft Lauderdale Museums
    Science www.mods.org/
    Art www.moafl.org/
    Bonnet House Bonnet House Museum & Gardens | Historic Art Museum | Tropical Garden
    Cars - Ft Lauderdale Car Museum & more - Fort Lauderdale Antique Car Museum - Cars

Cars
    Miami Cars - Bond, Minis, Cars from Films etc Miami Auto Museum at the Dezer Collection | Corporate Party Events Meetings Convention Center | Miami Indoor AttractionFt Lauderdale Packard Museum & more - Fort Lauderdale Antique Car Museum - Cars

Art Regional
    Ft Lauderdale - http://www.moafl.org
    Boca Art - http://www.bocamuseum.org
    Boca Japanese Art & Gardens - The Morikami Museum & Japanese Gardens

Hotels Worth Visiting - Classic
    Miami Biltmore
    Boca Resort & Club
    Palm Beach Breakers -

Animals Regional
    Miami Zoo
    Miami Jungle Island
    Miami Monkey Jungle
    Miami Sea Aquarium
    Butterfly World - Deerfield Beach -
    Palm Beach Exotic Animals - http://www.mccarthyswildlife.com

Regional Gardens
    Viscaya
    Morikami
    Flamingo - Home

Childrens Museums
    Boca Raton Children

Science
    Buehler Planetarium - Nova

Other listings:
    Fort Lauderdale Attractions: Find Fort Lauderdale Attractions Online
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning: Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum for Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!
    Time4MathFacts: Automated Game-Based math facts practice, a foundation for future math success.
    Time4Languages: Ten of Rosetta-Stone's legendary language learning programs provided at reduced costs to T4L members

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

I think you covered it all.

You listed Vizcaya in Miami, It's a beautiful historical mansion with beautiful gardens.

In West Palm Beach is Lion Country Safari. It's a drive-thru Safari. Lion Country Safari | Home of the Drive-Through Safari Adventure!
    also
    Miami Children's Museum Welcome to the Miami Children's Museum
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass