Going "Rogue" if you had to...? (post from older state group)
    katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Going "Rogue" if you had to...? (post from older state group)

1. bailbrae - 04-27-2010, 04:12 AM - permalink
      We are all proud to be homeschoolers. But would we be if the laws and the rules were different? I know in California they are trying to make it so homeschooling parents must have a teaching degree to teach their own children at home. How many of you have teaching degrees? Would you go back to school and earn one if the laws and requirements in FL changed?

What if (and I know this is far stretch, but it would be interesting to see how others would react) homeschooling in FL became illegal? Would you put your children back in school or would you become an "underground homeschooler?"

What path would you choose?
    2. tericared - 05-02-2010, 11:59 AM - permalink
      Great "what if"....I homeschool because of safety and bully issues at my daughters school....so I would have to break the law and continue to keep her safe....
    3. bailbrae - 05-06-2010, 08:14 PM - permalink
      Terica~

Great answer! I have to admit that this question has come up in conversations amongst my homeschooling friends as an honest concern. I can't honestly answer the question, but I would like to think that I will continue to do what I think is best for my kids...even if that goes against what the law makers think is best.
    4. [email protected] - 05-16-2010, 07:58 PM - permalink
      I would find a relative or friend who lived in a state without those rules and register my child for homeschool in that state.
    5. bailbrae - 05-17-2010, 09:02 AM - permalink
      Hi Cindy! ~

I agree with you, at least that is what I would try first. If that wasn't a possibility, and it were even remotely financially possible, we would try to move to another state. If all else fails, then we would consider going rogue.
    6. tvlamb55 - 05-22-2010, 11:45 PM - permalink
      I definitely wouldn't get my teaching certificate...that's out. I would work my way around the system. I have considered opening up my own "private school" here in Florida instead of registering with the county school district. So I'd do that if the option were still open. If not, then I am certain I could come up with some creative way to make it work. I might have one of my friends that is a registered teacher be listed as my son's teacher. Or I might consider that Florida Virtual School that's online as a possible compromise.

My family has often considered moving to another state (like Texas) and that would probably be a very motivating factor to tilt the scales to the "move away from Florida" side.
    7. bailbrae - 05-24-2010, 08:23 AM - permalink
      Great answer, Vicki! Even if we don't really believe it will come to "underground homeschooling," it still interests me to see how people think they would react if they were forced to to change how they are educating their children.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

FLmomof9 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Rogue here. Definitely rouge. I wonder, though, if then they would have access to the records of umbrella schools, so they could see who has been homeschooling before their law was enacted. Many of us would show up there, I think, making it impossible for us to go underground. NOT a good scenario.

homemom3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I would definitely be an underground homeschooler.My kids, my choice!
    Homemom3