Help :)

Thread: Help :)

Unregistered Guest

Default Help :)

I have been homeschooling my son for years, he is in 4th grade and went to public school for part of 2nd grade and that was all. We have used the virtual schools, no curriculum and time for learning, and Lighthouse Christian Academy. I didnt care for the virtual schools, no curriculum made me feel like I was slacking big time, he enjoyed Time For Learning but seemed to get bored with it, and we can no longer afford to the the Lighthouse Christian Academy.
    Well it is time to think about 5th grade and we are looking at Time for Learning again. Do you guys use other stuff in conjuntion with Time 4 Learning? What do you keep as a portfolio to turn in to the state if they ask? I live in Flagler County but work full time in Volusia County, I feel bad because I feel like my son is "bored" while at his Grandmas all day, although he continiuosly tells me he will never go back to Public School.
    What other things can I do to keep him busy, on a VERY TIGHT BUDGET?
    Thanks in advance for any advice and help!!
    Angela
    [email protected]

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Angela!

We use SpellingCity for vocabulary and spelling, and I like EdHelper.com for printables (but I mostly just use edhelper for seasonal and holiday type things...my boys don't really dig the worksheet thing, lol). SpellingCity has a free and a premium membership (there are a lot of great free resources and an annual premium membership is really affordable) and edhelper has an annual fee (again, for a year, it's really reasonable). As far as anything else, we do reading, library time, field trips. We also google recipes since both boys like to be in the kitchen (cooking is like math, home ec, chemistry...so many subjects...all rolled into one activity ) and we do a lot of science experiments and such.

Hopefully some of our wonderful members can chime in with their experiences as well.

Looking forward to chatting with you more!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Unregistered Guest

Thanks bailbrae
    I will have to look into those things. Unfortunately I think I am going to have to put him in school, my husband and I are both having to work full time now and I dont know what to do with him while we are at work, he has been going to my mother in laws, but there is zero interaction there. she sits on the couch and watches tv and smokes and doesnt like to be bothered Thank goodness he is a good kid and self sufficient, but I feel sad for him.
    Does anyone else work full time that you know of or do you and where do your kids go in that case?
    Angela
    Thanks again!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Angela, I'm so sorry that you have to struggle with this. I have been very blessed... I do not work outside of the home. Even my husband works from home. So we have a lot of flexibility in our day. I know there a lot of homeschooling families where the parents work full time away from home, I hope some of our members can chime in and give you some advice or share their experiences.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We've been blessed in that our schedules have always been opposite, I worked days and hubby worked nights. But I lost my job a couple of months ago, and I'm just going to do little project while we start our 4yo off. There are no easy answers for your situation, unfortunately, tho I desperately wish I had some. Is your MIL your only child care option? Or do you maybe have friends he can stay with? Are your jobs the ultimate solution right now, or could you find something with more flexibility? (and yes, trust me I know how difficult the economy is, and if you have a job you're doing to do anything you can to keep it)

You just have to weigh out all of your choices and think creatively. We can be here as a sounding board for you - let us know how we can help. *hugs to you*
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!