Help!

Thread: Help!

Unregistered Guest

Default Help!

I'm a grandmother who wants to start homeschooling my 5 year old grandson. He went to Pre-K last year in Newport News, VA and had a hard time focusing and staying still, I chalked it up to him just being 4 and never really away from his mother. He is now living in Escambia County (Pensacola, FL) and started Kindergarten 2 weeks ago well let's just say things are not going good. I live in Okaloosa County (Fort Walton Beach) and would like to homeschool him from my home but am unable to find a law that states I can do that. Is ther anyone out there that canhelp me?

Unregistered Guest

Default Homeschool Question

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm a grandmother who wants to start homeschooling my 5 year old grandson. He went to Pre-K last year in Newport News, VA and had a hard time focusing and staying still, I chalked it up to him just being 4 and never really away from his mother. He is now living in Escambia County (Pensacola, FL) and started Kindergarten 2 weeks ago well let's just say things are not going good. I live in Okaloosa County (Fort Walton Beach) and would like to homeschool him from my home but am unable to find a law that states I can do that. Is ther anyone out there that canhelp me?
    Hi! There are many organizations that you can contact in Florida with your questions about homeschooling in Florida. I would recommend contacting them as soon as possible!!!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome! That's a tough question to answer...I checked the website I turn to when I need a reference for Florida homeschool laws and I really couldn't find anything about grandparents doing the homeschooling. If you aren't the legal guardian, you might be able to homeschool under the "tutor" option. If you go this route though, you may need to have a certificate to teach.

Honestly, my best piece of advice would be to contact the board of education in the county you live in. That way they can tell you exactly what to expect.

Good luck, keep us posted, and always feel free to ask any questions you may have!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I found this info about someone other than a parent educating the child. Read the info under "How do I comply with Homeschool Law?" paying particular attention to the third paragraph. What if you AND the child's parent work together? Then it is well within the law.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Leftheart Guest

Default homeschooling grandma

It's my understanding as long as you are his legal guardian you can homeschool him.

FLmomof9 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I would check with HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association). They know the laws for every state, and list them on the website. They can also answer questions for you over the phone. For the record, a 5yo boy isn't SUPPOSED to sit still! The mistake schools make is to try and force a child to sit still for too long, and fit into their mold. Doesn't work. That's why we homeschool. Have you read any of the books by Dr. Raymond and Dorothy Moore on early education? They are easy to read and very informative! If you feel your grandson is TRULY overactive or unfocused, you might try removing "artificials" from his diet, to see if that helps. Artificial colors and flavors, among other things, can totally make a child unable to sit still, focus, and learn. A great website to go to for more about this is The Feingold Diet Program for ADHD. HTH!