Help with portfolio-newbie
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Unregistered

Thread: Help with portfolio-newbie

Punkmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Help with portfolio-newbie

I just started homeschooling my son 2 months ago and have been using T4L as our core for mainly math and L.Arts. I had to go in and meet with the Home Education Committee this morning for an eval. I brought with every log that I could print from T4L along with worksheets that my son had did and also had photos of some of his projects (which they never looked at) and was told that it did not count as a log and have to go back next month. They also said that I could not just list the books he was reading but had to but what pages he read and when.
    My son does T4L for 1 to 2 hours a day and is learning more then he ever did in public school. I thought that in Fl there was no law for what you had to teach or for how long but now am being told that how I am teaching him is wrong.
    Example : My son was working on measurements so I had him figure out for planting our garden and things like that.
    What I really need to know is what EXACTLY legally I have to have in his portfolio. If I just had him doing T4L and brought in that log why was it not good enough ? This is so frustrating and those woman wouldn't let me speak at all.
    Also do I need to go by any "regular" school schedule ? As in how many days a week we do school at home .

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome. I'm sorry you're having trouble with your evaluation. I don't know what a home education committee is. Were you told by the school board who you had to see to get the eval done? It sounds very strange...

We have tons, probably hundreds, of homeschooling families in Florida that use T4l and they've had successful evaluations. I know that this person has been recommended several times. Maybe you can arrange an evaluation with him instead?

FL Homeschool Evaluations - Florida Certified Teacher/Evaluator, Standardized Test Adminstrator

I'm sorry if that wasn't much help. Maybe some of our other members can chime in if they've run into this situation. :/
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

I pulled my son out of public school mid year and began homeschooling. The school reported to the school board that my son had missed too many days from school (which he hadn't ) so I have to go in front of a home school committee or they will not allow me to home school. The meeting was 2 home schooling mothers and the head of home schooling for my county.
    For my log I brought the print out of the lessons my son had done on T4L and was told that was not a log that showed progress, even though it showed him moving on from lesson to lesson and quizes and I had worksheets along with the lessons.
    I am just very confused because legally I thought I had everything I needed. My son does better on the computer then text books and that seemed to be their main problem was that I was mainly using T4L and that I did not have a log of every page he reads out of a book but just the names of the books he reads.
    Like I said...frustrating. I had never heard of anyone having this problem either and now am wondering if I should find some legal help.

Also I just want to make sure in thinking that even if my son only does T4L and I just print out his log, that should be good enough right ? The mother's there are telling me that I need to have very detailed day by day activities including the time he starts reading a book, the page numbers and what he learned from it.
    Now I had thought that Florida did not have a law on what I HAD to teach only that there had to be progression and that there is no mandatory number of days I have to teach. I have been doing 5 days a week but since we won't be taking a traditional summer break I was thinking about switching that up.
    Do you use T4L as your daily log ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Punkmom View Post
    Also I just want to make sure in thinking that even if my son only does T4L and I just print out his log, that should be good enough right ? The mother's there are telling me that I need to have very detailed day by day activities including the time he starts reading a book, the page numbers and what he learned from it.
    Now I had thought that Florida did not have a law on what I HAD to teach only that there had to be progression and that there is no mandatory number of days I have to teach. I have been doing 5 days a week but since we won't be taking a traditional summer break I was thinking about switching that up.
    Do you use T4L as your daily log ?
    Man...that sounds tough! I'm sorry.

I have never heard of something like that, and unfortunately, if that is the only option your school board is providing you with then you may need to seek legal advice?

We do use the T4L reports as our logs, and I keep additional stuff too. Pictures of art projects and science experiments, brochures from field trips, that kind of thing.

Again, I am so sorry. I wish I could help more...
    Katie

Unregistered Guest

Smile Just finished 1st homeschooling year

[QUOTE=Punkmom;39750]I pulled my son out of public school mid year and began homeschooling. The school reported to the school board that my son had missed too many days from school (which he hadn't ) so I have to go in front of a home school committee or they will not allow me to home school. The meeting was 2 home schooling mothers and the head of home schooling for my county.
    For my log I brought the print out of the lessons my son had done on T4L and was told that was not a log that showed progress, even though it showed him moving on from lesson to lesson and quizes and I had worksheets along with the lessons.
    I am just very confused because legally I thought I had everything I needed. My son does better on the computer then text books and that seemed to be their main problem was that I was mainly using T4L and that I did not have a log of every page he reads out of a book but just the names of the books he reads.

[QUOTE=Punkmom;39750]I pulled my son out of public school mid year and began homeschooling. The school reported to the school board that my son had missed too many days from school (which he hadn't ) so I have to go in front of a home school committee or they will not allow me to home school. The meeting was 2 home schooling mothers and the head of home schooling for my county.

Hi I just finished my first year homeschooling my daughter(she is now on Time4Learning 2nd grade but still wants to finish lessons in 1st grade). It all seemed so overwhelming at first but we LOVE Time4Learning and the forum is a Godsend as far as info and/or support. She recently had her annual evaluation and I used the certified teacher bailbrae and others mentioned. If you end up going with him, he does in-person, cyber, and phone evaluations at a very reasonable rate. The only thing I would recommend is to contact him and schedule the evaluation somewhat in advance of the deadline(anniversary of Letter of Intent). I did have issues with his response time which was frustrating and stressful.

So when you pulled your son out of traditional school, did you send a Letter of Intent to your county's school district? I don't think this evaluation by the "home school committee" is your only option. The Florida Department of Education has several options for the annual evaluation. From what I read in your comment, your portfolio seems more than adequate. My evaluator asked for my Time4Learning login/password so he could check my daughter's work. As bailbrae pointed out to me, he can access the student's records using the child's info. He had a brief, easy phone conversation with my daughter. I mailed him my payment and he emailed me a copy of the evaluation and the county home education rep's response.

It's a shame you had such a negative experience. I wouldn't go that route again. Contact Mr. Tucker and tell him your experience. I'm sure he'll be able to help.

Good Luck!

Blog Entries

Thanks so much for chiming in and helping out!
    Katie

Unregistered Guest

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by bailbrae View Post
    Thanks so much for chiming in and helping out!
    You're welcome This forum has been so helpful. Just trying to pay it forward
    bailbrae likes this.

Unregistered Guest

Hi:

I'm a little late to chime in, so I hope you got things worked out! If so, please let us know what happened.

If not, a couple of thoughts:

If you did not turn the letter of intent in immediately (before your son's ongoing absences were reported to the district) the district can have you come in for an eval to make sure that you are homeschooling "properly" and did not just pull your child out of school. I don't know when you sent your letter of intent, but that could be the issue with the homeschool committee. When I pulled my son out, he had been out of school for a week already, but the school was working with me because of his difficulties (so they weren't reporting him absent). However, the principal urged me to get the letter of intent in early because they were going to have to start reporting his absences. I sent the letter immediately, and indicated that homeschooling began on the day I pulled him out, not the date of the letter.

I know you have 30 days to send the letter -- but realistically the district is monitoring his absences during that entire time. Maybe that's why you ended up having to go to the committee -- not that you were doing anything wrong, but that's their justification, at least?

Also, I understand that you don't have to teach anything in particular, but there has to be some indicator of learning. It sounds like you are doing that and they are being hard on you for some reason and requiring very detailed logs...but since they are, I suspect that if you are only using T4L for lang. and math, they are looking for other things, like music, art, science, social studies? If you are already doing that and your logs are complete with samples, writings, book lists, supplemental material and photos for that, then I'm not sure.

Could you ask the committee what they are looking for? That seems like the path of least resistance to me.

In addition to T4L I use these log sheets: Home - Pinellas Home School Help / Documents / Info. The link has forms for Pinellas homeschoolers, including a daily log, sheet for book list and reading materials, and a method of setting up a log book with work samples (including, writing, art and music). We log by time spent, not number of pages, but you can see that the worksheets below ask for # of pages read.

This is the information provided by the Florida Parent Educators Association: Getting Started Guide | FPEA. It's very thorough and has some good ideas. You may want to contact them to find out if they know what you should do.

Finally, I believe that each county has a local parent educators association. I would search the website for your county as well, and maybe give them a call to see if someone can help you.

Good luck!

Susan

Blog Entries

Thanks so much, Susan, for participating and sharing that great advice!
    Katie