Hillsborough County (FL) is not accepting Time4Learning for our daughter's enrollment
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hillsborough County (FL) is not accepting Time4Learning for our daughter's enrollment

Unregistered Guest

Default Hillsborough County (FL) is not accepting Time4Learning for our daughter's enrollment

Hello everyone,
    We decided to homeschool our daughter this year for kindergarten and used Time4Learning as her primary curriculum. She completed everything as well as a lot of other book based assignments, all of which were documented. This past week, we registered her for the 1st grade and submitted all of her Time4Learning reports and an enrollment letter.

The next day, we were told that Hillsborough County now requires a "completion letter" saying that she completed the course work, so we called Time4Learning and were told that they could not provide one because they only provide the curriculum and not an actual school. I asked if there was anyway someone there could write a letter to help us and they said no.

Now, without the completion letter, they said they will have to put our daughter into kindergarten again. This is a child that is already reading and doing addition/subtraction into the thousands. We are now trying to convince the school board to have a teacher do an assessment of our child, but we're not sure if that will work.

So, just want to post this as a buyer beware or caution.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

How strange. What would the county require of you if you had pieced together a curriculum, as MANY homeschooling parents do, rather than used T4L? There would be no one to ask for a completion letter. When I checked the Hillsborough County Home Education page for the requirements they need to terminate home education and place in the schools, they require a portfolio of her work, which you can print off in detail from the T4L site. They also require the last annual evaluation, as required by florida law regardless of what county you reside in. If you didn't do the annual evaluation yet and that is why they are maybe asking for a completion letter, you may want to contact someone to do the eval. I'm not saying you are wrong or anything, but again... thousands upon thousands of homeschoolers don't follow a complete, boxed or online curriculum at all and make their own curriculum and lessons. And they homeschool successfully. Maybe the school board was under the impression that T4L was a school, rather than a provider of a curriculum program. If you explain that to them, they may be willing to accept her portfolio and do the placement test?
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

That is crazy!! But I agree with Katie ... I'm thinking they just didn't quite get what you were doing. If you know a teacher that can do an evaluations, all they have to do is review the work your little one did over the past year, and write a letter (you can usually find the form online), saying that your little one is ready for the first grade. Let us know how it works out!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I also think they may have been under the assumption that Time4Learning was a school not a resource. When I lived in TX, kinder was not required, it was a choice, so they couldn't make you take a K class. They would have to enroll you in 1st if that was your age level.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Unregistered Guest

Default status update

Thanks for the information everyone.

We've been haggling with the school and the school board for the past few days and they said the placement of the child is up to the school and it does say on the Hillsborough County Home Education page that "The school determines the grade in which a student is placed." This seems to be the trump card in the whole situation and it's the school or rather the assistant principal that is giving us the run around. They said they want to put her into kindergarten again for 3-4 weeks with their "best teacher" and she'll make an assessment on whether she should be moved into the 1st grade.

At this point, we're not going to make our daughter jump through hoops to prove herself and have made the decision to homeschool her for the 1st grade. To be honest, it's probably the best option since she's so far ahead of your average 1st grader.

Blog Entries

I don't blame you for not jumping through their hoops, lol. I hope you have a great year! Keep us posted with how things are going with you, and definitely feel free to post here if you ever have any questions to ask or information to share.
    Katie

Unregistered Guest

Default Fl. homeschooling guidelines.

Acoording to the Fl. homeschooling guidelines a child this age can be tested in 5 diff. manners . 1, is to have a written assesment done on the child by a licensed Fl. Teacher w their name & lic. # on it stating that they've reviewed the childs portfolio & that the child is ready to pass on to the next grade level . If your local school will not accept this as a form of advancement , i would contact your County's School Boards Super Intendant about the matter & ask them what you should do , if they offer no help . Sounds to me like the school is just being petty about the situation , & id go as far as to call your local news station if you have no other options , sometimes aliitle pressure from the community can change peoples minds on their decisions quikly !

D
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello everyone,
    We decided to homeschool our daughter this year for kindergarten and used Time4Learning as her primary curriculum. She completed everything as well as a lot of other book based assignments, all of which were documented. This past week, we registered her for the 1st grade and submitted all of her Time4Learning reports and an enrollment letter.

The next day, we were told that Hillsborough County now requires a "completion letter" saying that she completed the course work, so we called Time4Learning and were told that they could not provide one because they only provide the curriculum and not an actual school. I asked if there was anyway someone there could write a letter to help us and they said no.

Now, without the completion letter, they said they will have to put our daughter into kindergarten again. This is a child that is already reading and doing addition/subtraction into the thousands. We are now trying to convince the school board to have a teacher do an assessment of our child, but we're not sure if that will work.

So, just want to post this as a buyer beware or caution.

Kulmona is offline Junior Member

Default Annual Evaluations

We have been having the hardest time enrolling our 6 year-old for homeschooling. We also live in Hillsborough County. She is already enrolled with the district. I tried to enroll her with K12 Virtual School last year but she was not eligible b/c she hadn't attended public school in October 2010/February 2011(she was 5 and, according to Florida law, she wasn't required to).

K12's requirements changed so we tried again this year. We spent 4-5 hours on the phone with K12 and Hillsborough County and were given conflicting info by different people. We were ready to pull our hair out!!!

My daughter took an online K12 placement test last week and we submitted it. To date, we have not rec'd any response.

Ok -- my question is : Instead of the annual evaluation, my daughter can either take a state assessment test or a national test. I need info on which tests and how to arrange for them.

Blog Entries

Hi Kulmona~

You could go to the school board and ask if they can recommend a certified teacher or if they could test your daughter when they do their annual testing. I did find a website for someone who is certified to do evaluations AND testing... FL Homeschool Evaluations - Florida Certified Teacher/Evaluator, Standardized Test Adminstrator

He says that he can "...administer every standardized test available accordance with the Florida State Laws, as well as the national norm referenced tests from across the U.S.A." So maybe he will able to tell you about the different tests to see which one would be the best?

Hope that helps at least a little. Good luck!
    Katie

Bommy2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Just my two cents here but..... A couple of questions for you. 1. Did you go to the Hillsborough School Board building itself or just the school? I know here in Orange County (FL) you sign your children up at the actual school board building for homeschool. 2. If yes, they should have given you a package that stated the different ways you can "advance" to the next grade in the State of Florida. One is the portfolio and teacher evaluation. This would be the letter of completion they are talking about. The evaluation is due one year after you start homeschooling....such as...if you start August of 2011 you have until August of 2012 to turn in the next evaluation and portfolio. If the school system is giving you trouble I would turn to someone like www.hslda.org and ask them what you should do. They are the legal help for homeschoolers. OR, www.fpea.com should also be of help. It is here in FL and has chapters throughout FL. Hope some of this helps you and your daughter.
    Cheryl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast