Homeschooling newbies...? (post from older state group)
    katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Homeschooling newbies...? (post from older state group)

1. bailbrae - 06-03-2010, 02:37 PM - permalink
      Do we have any brand new homeschoolers here? Any families who just made the jump to homeschooling; or after having finished this year in public school, decided to start homeschooling next year?

Is there anything you would like see discussed here...anything particular you are looking for?

This is YOUR group, Florida! Let us know what you want to talk about!
    2. Wegwy - 06-08-2010, 09:04 PM - permalink
      Hi Everyone!
      I'm a newbie. My 9 year old daughter just completed the 3rd grade in ps. We started t4l last week and so far so good. I haven't technically withdrawn her yet from ps. I wanted to start during the summer to see if this would be a good fit for her & I. She has always wanted to be homeschooled and is immensly enjoying t4l. I'm in Palm Beach County so I'll be looking for support groups in my area. That is my next order of business! By the way, great forum!

Thanks for reading,
      Wendy
    3. bailbrae - 06-09-2010, 08:46 AM - permalink
      Hi Wendy and welcome! Trying T4L out over the summer is a great idea. You may want to visit the Palm Beach County Home Education page...it has all the laws for the state, downloadable/printable info you will need like the Notice of Intent as well as a phone number you can call to receive a list of the homeschool groups in the area.

Good luck and please keep us posted as to how your summer is going!
    4. DASWAISHA - 06-16-2010, 08:31 AM - permalink
      Hello. My name is daswaisha golden and i live in alachua county. I have benn homeschooling my 7 yr old daughter since march 2010. My little girl was diagnosed with auditory processing disorder and sever adhd with distructive behavior after she repeated the kindergarten. The school she attened was a small charter school. They tried to accomodate her as best as they could, but it was not enough. It was heartbreaking to see her struggle at home and get weekly notes from her teacher saying she is making strides, but she is still behind. It was very fustrating for her and on our family. So on march 9th i advised her school that she will complete the school year in home school program. Time for learning has been wonderful for her. Her struggle is sound intergration, so the phonics programs was kind of hard for her, but she is able to work them out at her own pace not the school boards. She likes not having to rush to get things done. And she really enjoys the programs. I have a 11 yr old son who has a learning disability and adhd. He also has been retained. He has come along way, but his progress as come to an hault because he is totally consummed with the social aspect of school and forgetting about the learning part. He gets very emotional in school. So after his iep meeting, his reading and writing teacher agree, that homeschool would be best for him. So he will be starting time for learning in august. I am very excited for the both of my babies.

I look forward to chatting and learning more about the world of homeschool.

Thank you for letting me share.
      Daswaisha golden
      alachua county
    5. Florida5 - 06-21-2010, 08:40 PM - permalink
      Hello All! My name is Jennifer and we now have 3 homeschoolers here in Brevard County. I pulled my 8th grader in November to Virtual School and he restarted his 8th grade year. He just started 2nd semester. Both my girls (11 & 7) finished the year in public school but after severe sexual harassment aimed toward my 11 yo toward the end of the school year it was the final straw for us. We almost pulled them with only 3 weeks left in the school year but was able to get a different teacher for her to finish the year. My 11 yo will be attending Connections Academy as soon as her books come in July but is getting a jump start here at T4L on the 6th grade school year. My 3rd grader without waking a soul gets up everyday and logs on to T4L all by herself to do her school work. If I don't remind her that it is going to be Saturday on Friday night we catch her doing school work on Saturday morning lol!

For the summer the girls are only doing 1 assignment per class a day so they don't loose anything over the summer and are having a great time. Both my girls love school and T4L seems to fuel their fire for learning so, so far T4L is a winner in my book
    6. Yca - 06-21-2010, 09:35 PM - permalink
      welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling, newbies!!!! we're towards the end of our 3rd year and i can't imagine why i ever thought sending them to public school was a good idea. we're in orange county and have been blessed to find a lot of people to help guide us along our journey. if you need anything or have any questions, feel free to ask!!
    7. Yca - 06-21-2010, 09:36 PM - permalink
      welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling, newbies!!!! we're towards the end of our 3rd year and i can't imagine why i ever thought sending them to public school was a good idea. we're in orange county and have been blessed to find a lot of people to help guide us along our journey. if you need anything or have any questions, feel free to ask!!
    8. bailbrae - 06-22-2010, 06:30 AM - permalink
      Hi Daswaisha and Jennifer! It's great to meet you!

I'm with YCA...we have also been blessed to find and meet people who have helped in one way or another. And just as she said...please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Looking forward to hearing more about your homeschooling journeys!!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Unregistered Guest

Default Help

Hi, I'm just moved to ft Myers area. Want to homeschool my kids but I am not sure. If I can do it and good enough to do it. Anyone???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi, I'm just moved to ft Myers area. Want to homeschool my kids but I am not sure. If I can do it and good enough to do it. Anyone???
    Hi there, and welcome! Since I am an avid supporter of homeschooling, my instinct is to say of course you can do it, lol! But ultimately, you know yourself and your kids better than anyone, so it's a decision that you really need to be comfortable with. Even though I can't imagine NOT homeschooling my kiddos, I know it's not for everyone. I am going to recommend a few things for you to read:

Welcome to Homeschooling Guide - Even if you haven't made the decision to homeschool yet, there is a TON of helpful info in this guide.

Questions & Answers for families thinking of joining - this forum is a great place for you to ask questions specifically about Time4Learning, to learn more and decide if it's right for your family.

Home School Questions - this forum is a good general homeschool forum. You can see how other members schedule their day, how they use the T4L curriculum, what other programs/resources they use, etc.

State by State Homeschooling Information - you can find your state, and click on the resources link, There you can find information about homeschooling laws in your state, as well as info about local activities and support groups and such. After you read the resources, you can go back to this page and then click on the state support group link, so you can join your state group. There, you can find out more info and hopefully meet other homeschoolers near you.

Hope this info helps, at least a bit. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have!
    Katie

babylove Guest

Wink newbie!!!

Hi all!

I have 2 middle schoolers and I am extremely interested but i don't know where to begin. I am not sure what curriculum to us and it is my understanding that i may need to supplement. we have been to 3 different school and they are already in their first week at the new school and I am seeing the same things that i Saw the last 2 years. I really am ready to make the switch. I understand I have to send a letter of intent. However, it says that i need to send 30 days prior to starting home school. Does that mean I need to leave them in their current public school until I receive a Okay? Is this a automatic approval or could we be denied for some reason? I want to do it right any info anyone could help me with would be awesome. By the way I am in Manatee county. Thanks

Heather

Blog Entries

Hi Heather, and welcome! No, you don't have to keep them in public school. You just need to make sure you that have submitted that letter of intent within 30 days of pulling them out. I have read nothing about prior approval, so you shouldn't worry about that. Here are the set of laws that I pull from when I need to reference them: Florida Homeschool Laws.

Never be afraid to ask any questions here... keep us posted how things are going for you!
    Katie

MomOf5Angels is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello everyone! My name is Jackie and I am a mother to 4 daughters and 1 son. My youngest daughter who is 10 just started on t4l this week. I made the decision to withdrawl her from public school due to the academic anxiety issues she was having. She also has a learning disorder. I felt that the school could no longer meet her needs as she entered into 4th grade this year. The pull outs for ESE were no more. So, her one on one time was a thing of the past. She just learned how to read last year in 3rd grade. She was also held back Kindergarten. I did not know where to start with the home school options but I contacted Orange County School and withdrew her from her public school. Through a little research (which felt like days) I found Time 4 Learning. Right away I was impressed since my daugher is more of a visual learner. She was so excited to start. So, how could I say no to that? I'm very new at this so if anyone has advice for us I will glady accept it. Is there anything else that I would need to submit to Orange County besides the intent?

Blog Entries

Hey Jackie, and welcome! I know what you mean, about finding T4L and being so excited about it!

I think once you submit your intent, with the info on it that the school boards requires (names, birth dates, addresses of the children being homeschooled), you are good to get started. Make sure you read the laws (the link is in the post right above yours), so you know what you need to do about keeping a portfolio and annual evaluations and/or tests.

I would recommend reading T4L's Welcome to Homeschooling guide, as it's got a lot of good info in it. I would also suggest taking a look at Getting Started with Time4Learning so you can get a better idea of how to use and navigate the site.

Good luck, and keep us posted with how things are going with you guys!
    Katie

AnaKate is offline Junior Member

Hi! This is my first year and I am homeschooling a 5th grader. We were watching our son quickly fall behind, sink into the shadows and just not enjoy life and this was only in the last few months!! To top it off, I received no communication from his teachers regarding his progress, or lack thereof. Seeing as I am still out of work, and we have been surviving thus far, I would take out our son and just teach him at home. Already, after a week, he has pep in his step, a sparkle in his eye and is thrilled to do all the work I give him. Because we pulled him after some time, I have to figure out what he has done already and what to start teaching him. I'm considering just starting from scratch and start at day 1. I'm absorbing all I can and I can only pray that it will be enough to keep him moving forward. My husband is very supportive so we are all excited. I hope I can keep going!

Thanks for the moment in time! AnaKate

Blog Entries

Hi AnaKate, and welcome! I'm sorry that your son was having such a hard time in school, but I think it's wonderful that you are giving homeschooling a try and he seems to be responding well to it!

As far as where to start, when I pulled my son out of school, I just started that grade level over at the beginning. Different curricula may introduce concepts at different points in the year...to make it easier, you could just have him start at the beginning of the 5th grade level. He can always skip lessons that he has already worked on and he finds redundant.

Good luck, and please keep us posted! Looking forward to chatting with you more...
    Katie