1. bailbrae - 03-09-2011, 03:27 PM - permalink
    An article was brought to my attention and it was a really interesting read. I have honestly never thought about the approximate number of homeschoolers in Florida. Reading the article, and comparing the approximate number of homeschoolers against the number of kids in the recent census, surprised me.

It may not seem like a large percentage of kids are homeschooled kids, but the estimate is definitely larger than I thought it would be.

Read the article here:

Numbers of Homeschoolers in USA

Tell me... were you surprised by the estimated number of homeschoolers? Why or why not? If so, what do you think is the reason/are the reasons that the homeschooling movement is growing so?
  2. Florida5 - 03-09-2011, 11:27 PM - permalink
    I have to say I'm really not surprised the number of homeschoolers is growing. I'm surprised the number isn't higher at this point in the current state of our public schools. I imagine once the economic condition improves those numbers will go up. Many parents that didn't work b4 have had to go back to work which sometimes forces the kids back into the school system.

The number that really surprises me in Pennsylvania. We have been spending quite a bit of time up in Philadelphia over the last 6 months and have been completely dumbstruck by how many homeschoolers we run across there. Pennsylvania has major homeschoolers events such as Great Wolf Lodge days, a homeschoolers camping overnight at a state park and discounts on classes if you are a homeschoolers that can come in daytime slots vs evening & weekends. With all there is to do and go to for homeschoolers I would have thought their number would have been considerably higher.

I love having all 3 of my children home & having the ability to travel all across the country without worrying about missing a day of learning. I'm sure as the trend grows & so many more people realize the flexibility of homeschooling
  3. bailbrae - 03-10-2011, 08:30 AM - permalink
    Hi Florida5!

My take on it was opposite of yours, lol. I was looking at the numbers and in thinking about the economy, I was wondering if the fact that so many people have lost their jobs in the last couple of years has brought the homeschooling numbers up. You know...because now one parent would be home with the kids. It was nice to see another way of thinking. I'm sure that what we were both thinking has played a part in the number of homeschoolers.

I agree with you about loving the flexibility of homeschooling. Can't imagine NOT being with my kids and being able to grab them and go somewhere in the middle of the day just because we want to.