How to start the homeschooling process?
    NewMomHomeschool Guest

Cool How to start the homeschooling process?

Hello,

My name is Mary, I've a 4 yr. old son and recently moved to FL. I am currently interested in homeschooling my child but am not aware of what I should do first or how it works, can anyone provide me with assistance and advice?

V/r-Mary

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Mary.

Welcome to homeschooling and to Time4Learning.
    Here is a link for the legal analysis for homeschooling in Florida. Since your son is only 4, you can start homeschooling him now without having to submit any documentation to the school board. The law says you must submit a Letter of Intent to Homeschool for "All children who have attained the age of 6 years or who will haveattained the age of 6 years by February 1 of any school year."

Since you're new to homeschooling, Time4Learning offers this free Guide to Homeschooling which I'm sure you'll find very helpful. I also suggest you find a homeschool support group near you where you meet other homeschooling families. I don't know how I could've gotten through my first few years of homeschooling without our support group. We have field trips, activities, co-op classes like music and art, spelling bees, drama club, yearbooks and so much more. This page has a link that will direct you to a website where you can find local support groups. It's also through your support group that you will be able to find a certified teacher for your end of the year test for your child to show that he's made progress in your homeschool (you need to submit a Letter of Progress at the end of the year).

If you have any other questions about homeschooling or Time4Learning, please feel free to post your question in any of the forums on Time4Learning or to even call Support. There's a forum for families who are new to homeschooling.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass