I really need some help understanding assesments
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    sbdavi3a is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    1

    Default I really need some help understanding assesments

    Hi everyone. Kyle and I are moving onto a boat this summer in Florida from Missouri where we are now. Before I sign us up for a home school program I would like to understand exactly how it works. My understanding is that in Florida Kyle will need to be assessed by someone with a teaching certificate from Florida yearly. I don't know a soul in Florida so I am wondering if there is a website that recommends a particular person for us. I believe that some teachers would look down on this particular type of education style i really think it would work best for us in our circumstance. I worry that i will get someone who disapproves of homeschooling and he won't do well on his assessment. His grades in public school are great and i am worried that our move and then a new type of schooling will disrupt his schedule As any parent knows that can be disastrous. please give me any thoughts facts or opinions that you have. Thanks in advance and have a great day

  2. #2
    katshu2's Avatar
    katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,586
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Hi there, and welcome! As far as advice, I can say that I love homeschooling. It's a perfect fit for my family and we have absolutely no regrets as far as making that decision goes. Having said that...I can also comfortably say that homeschooling isn't for everyone, and that's okay. Only you can really know what's best for you and your kiddos. And deciding to homeschool doesn't have to be permanent. I would say you could at least try it.

    Here is a Welcome to Homeschooling guide. Even if you haven't decided you ARE going to homeschool, you still might appreciate a lot of the info in there.

    Try perusing some of the other threads in the FL forum here..you may find more info about evaluations. I do know that this FL Homeschool Evaluations website is the first site to pop up in a Google search and the site has been recommended before. Hope that helps, at least a little. Please keep us posted how things are going with you!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!



  3. #3
    Unregistered Guest

    Unhappy When is annual evaluation due?

    Quote Originally Posted by bailbrae View Post
    Hi there, and welcome! As far as advice, I can say that I love homeschooling. It's a perfect fit for my family and we have absolutely no regrets as far as making that decision goes. Having said that...I can also comfortably say that homeschooling isn't for everyone, and that's okay. Only you can really know what's best for you and your kiddos. And deciding to homeschool doesn't have to be permanent. I would say you could at least try it.

    Here is a Welcome to Homeschooling guide. Even if you haven't decided you ARE going to homeschool, you still might appreciate a lot of the info in there.

    Try perusing some of the other threads in the FL forum here..you may find more info about evaluations. I do know that this
    FL Homeschool Evaluations website is the first site to pop up in a Google search and the
    site has been recommended before. Hope that helps, at least a little. Please keep us posted how things are going with you!
    I am really confused as to when annual evaluations are due. I registered my daughter before her 6th b-day as required so is the eval due:
    . On/before her 7th b-day?
    . Anniversary of letter of intent?
    . Anniversary of date registered by county?

    Can eval's be postponed? What happens if I'm late?

  4. #4
    katshu2's Avatar
    katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,586
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am really confused as to when annual evaluations are due. I registered my daughter before her 6th b-day as required so is the eval due:
    . On/before her 7th b-day?
    . Anniversary of letter of intent?
    . Anniversary of date registered by county?

    Can eval's be postponed? What happens if I'm late?
    According to the Florida homeschool laws I found, there is "no specific statutory deadline." I would think your best bet is contacting your school board and asking them specifically. I know that's not much help, but while state laws are there, school districts may or may not have a specific way they like to see annual evals done.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!



  5. #5
    Unregistered Guest

    Default

    Thanks Bailbrae I'll try that.

  6. #6
    Unregistered Guest

    Smile Update

    So I posed the annual evaluation deadline question on several sites and got my answer!

    There is an evaluator, Charles(goes by his middle name, Curtis) Tucker, that has been mentioned several times on the Florida Forum. I had contacted him via email on Wednesday morning and hadn't heard back(or so I thought). I missed his email.

    He called me today and we had a pleasant conversation. He answered my question about the evaluation deadline(1 year following the Letter of Intent date) and put my mind at ease. He requested the login info for Time4Learning so he can see my daughter's work here. In addition to that, he would like to have a brief phone conversation with my daughter. That's it I am no longer as stressed.

  7. #7
    katshu2's Avatar
    katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,586
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    So I posed the annual evaluation deadline question on several sites and got my answer!

    There is an evaluator, Charles(goes by his middle name, Curtis) Tucker, that has been mentioned several times on the Florida Forum. I had contacted him via email on Wednesday morning and hadn't heard back(or so I thought). I missed his email.

    He called me today and we had a pleasant conversation. He answered my question about the evaluation deadline(1 year following the Letter of Intent date) and put my mind at ease. He requested the login info for Time4Learning so he can see my daughter's work here. In addition to that, he would like to have a brief phone conversation with my daughter. That's it I am no longer as stressed.
    That's great! Thanks for the update.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!



  8. #8
    Unregistered Guest

    Default Further Update

    Quote Originally Posted by bailbrae View Post
    That's great! Thanks for the update.
    So, as I mentioned, I thought the evaluator, Mr. Tucker, hadn't responded so I contacted another evaluator. She is located in the same city where we live, Lutz. We will be moving to Texas in a few months and she is certified there as well. Perfect!

    I wrote to her on April 1st and just heard back. Before I spoke with Mr. Tucker, I was getting really worried and frustrated b/c nobody was getting back to me and I was running out of time.

    I have already written to her that I have made other arrangements.

  9. #9
    katshu2's Avatar
    katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,586
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    So, as I mentioned, I thought the evaluator, Mr. Tucker, hadn't responded so I contacted another evaluator. She is located in the same city where we live, Lutz. We will be moving to Texas in a few months and she is certified there as well. Perfect!

    I wrote to her on April 1st and just heard back. Before I spoke with Mr. Tucker, I was getting really worried and frustrated b/c nobody was getting back to me and I was running out of time.

    I have already written to her that I have made other arrangements.
    That's cool. At least now you have an alternative if you need it.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!



  10. #10
    Unregistered Guest

    Unhappy Late Evaluations

    Quote Originally Posted by bailbrae View Post
    That's cool. At least now you have an alternative if you need it.
    Has anyone ever been late with their annual evaluation? Is there any kind of grace period? Penalty? The reason I ask is that I'm again waiting on a response from the evaluator. I've already written him twice. I'm debating about writing him again and/or calling. I hate to be a pest but I'm getting anxious. I'm afraid I may not get it submitted on time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •