"I want to go to real school" Has anyone heard this one from their child?
    homemom3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question "I want to go to real school" Has anyone heard this one from their child?

I homeschool my 6 yr old and 11 yr old girls.My 11 yr old enjoys homeschool, but my 6 yr old not so much. I do try to make it a fun enjoyable experience for them both. It seems that my 6 yr old is not enjoying it so much. She gets sad sometimes and says to me that she wants to go to real school. I try to explain that what we do at home is the same that she would learn in school just with me as her teacher.And she would have to be there for a longer time. It just doesn't seem to help though.I would appreciate any kind of advice on this matter.
    Homemom3

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Oh man...I know that's tough to hear. We pulled my oldest out of public school just 2 months into his first grade year. He is now in 7th grade and has NO desire to return. His response to me is a "been there, done that" kinda thing, lol. My youngest is in 2nd grade and every now and then he says he wonders what it's like. But when I ask him what he wants from "real school" it always boils down to he wants to ride the bus. That's the only thing he can tell me. When I explain to him that based on our location in the bus route (first one on, last one off plus it's k-12), he wouldn't ride the bus even if he went to school, all interest disappears, lol.

Have you tried to ask your daughter what it is she is wanting from real school? Maybe she is just wishing for other kids to play with. Have you joined a local homeschool group or co-op or anything?

Another thing you may try is spend a few days, or a week, on a school schedule. Wake her up at the time each morning she would have to get up to go to school. Start your lessons when the school day would start. Give her only scheduled breaks for lunch and bathroom breaks like they do in school. Try to replicate a classroom as much as possible so she gets a feel for what it would be like.

I know it's tough...I dread the day that one of my mine comes to me and says with absolute certainty that they want to try real school. Keep us posted how things are going for you guys!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!