Interesting news article about FL and Umbrella schooling

Thread: Interesting news article about FL and Umbrella schooling

topsytechie is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Interesting news article about FL and Umbrella schooling

Has anyone here ever attempted Umbrella schooling in FL? If so, what are your thoughts about the legality of it?
    Florida Law A Gray Area Between Homeschool And Private 'Umbrellas' | WFSU

ngrande Guest

Default Umbrella School

We have had my granddaughters in an umbrella School here in Florida. My oldest was enrolled from 2005 until a few weeks ago. We had to pull her from the umbrella school and register her with the county as a homeschooler. The School board has recently re interpreted an old law and they now state that anyone enrolled in an umbrella or private school cannot dual enroll at EFSC (BCC). So, since we wanted her to continue dual enrollment we pulled her. My younger grand daughter is still enrolled with the umbrella School, and we will probably keep her enrolled until she can dual enroll, unless they revert back to the way the law was previously interpreted. This whole mess has been handled all wrong by the school board. They sent the letters to the umbrella schools AND private schools on Nov. 5th. The enrollment for the spring semester at EFSC started on Nov. 4th. So, absolutely no notice. And, yes, they did include all private schools.
    As far as the legalities of umbrella schools, we have had no problems. We did have a problem with a caseworker that thought we shouldn't homeschool, but all it took was the truant officer calling the owner of the umbrella school to verify enrollment to shut her up. I hope that we can continue with our umbrella school. The way things are going, we will be lucky to be able to home school in another 5 years.

Default umbrella school

Quote Originally Posted by topsytechie View Post
    Has anyone here ever attempted Umbrella schooling in FL? If so, what are your thoughts about the legality of it?
    Florida Law A Gray Area Between Homeschool And Private 'Umbrellas' | WFSU
    I registered my children with an umbrella school specifically to avoid mandatory testing. my daughter was having nightmares about fcat on christmas break so I pulled her out mid year. I report attendance quarterly and they maintain those records. I personally am happy it is an option for homeschoolers.
    topsytechie likes this.