Kids Significantly Behind Schedule
    Deidra D. Neal is offline Junior Member

Default Kids Significantly Behind Schedule

Greetings!

I registered my children ages 10 and 12 (4th/6th grades) as being homeschooled in October 2011. We used various resources until discovering T4L on March 18. My children are both very behind as far as progress in T4L, although the work they have done thus far has been excellent.

Right now, we're just trying to "catch up" - but I'm trying to keep from overloading them or discouraging them, while still motivating them to get busy!

Anyone else been in this situation? i think we have until November 2012 for them to complete their respective grades, then they can move on.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? Sympathy?

;D

Many thanks,

Deidra

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Deidra! When you say they have until November to complete their grades, is that a date set by you as a goal for your children or a goal set by someone else? I didn't think the state could set a completion goal...the only requirement I saw in the laws is that at the time of each annual evaluation, children show progress from where they started at the end of the previous evaluation? I may not be understanding correctly, but I did want to ask and make sure...

We have had years in the past where we blew through everything with no problems, and we have had a couple of years where it just seemed like we were never going to get through a grade level. I finally clued into the fact that I didn't necessarily need to make them finish. With the flexibility of T4L's grade level placement, I can just bump them up to the next grade, feeling comfortable that if they come across a concept or something that they are unfamiliar with, they can hop back down to the previous grade and see if it was something that was covered but that they skipped at the end of the year. I hope that made sense, lol.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Yes, that makes sense! Thank you.

November is the month, I thought, that the state of Florida requires them to have completed their respective grades, since I registered them in October 2011 as homeschooled. However, if that's not the case, that is wonderful! However, I believe both children will be done well before that and ready to go into the next grade - I'm still stressed out about it, though.

What I thought was needed is the evaluation and approval by a certified teacher of each child's electronic portfolio (the T4L finished work, etc.), which would then be submitted to the school district?
    Last edited by Deidra D. Neal; 08-03-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: add more stuff

Blog Entries

According the to the Florida homeschool laws I'm reading, there is no specific statutory deadline for the evaluations...just annually. Now, if your school system has told you November, then it might be best to contact them just to make sure.

Yes, you do need the annual evaluation by a certified teacher, but what I was trying to say - and while thoughts always sounds good in my head, they don't always translate into actual words well, lol! - is that your evaluation doesn't necessarily have to show completion of a grade, it just needs to show that your child is progressing from where they were when they started the year.
    Katie

Ah - then this is wonderful news! Because they are both definitely progressing and doing a great job!

Thank you so much for the information - I feel very relieved.

Deidra

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deidra D. Neal View Post
    Ah - then this is wonderful news! Because they are both definitely progressing and doing a great job!

Thank you so much for the information - I feel very relieved.

Deidra
    I'm glad I could help. You may want to double check with your school board, just to make sure. But the laws are pretty clear, so hopefully all is well.
    Katie