Mid-year start and traditional end of school year
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AnaKate
  • 1 Post By casadeweaver

Thread: Mid-year start and traditional end of school year

AnaKate is offline Junior Member

Default Mid-year start and traditional end of school year

Hi. We started homeschooling in January right after Christmas break. Our state, Florida, now has our annual review period set for January. How will I know if we are set for sixth grade to start following a traditional school schedule? I don't know if I continue schooling during the summer or if we can take a summer break and pick up in sixth grade. Do I need to contact the school for his last grades?

Thanks so much for the help!
    AnaKate

raney79 Guest

you might want to check w/ the school board.if they can be helpful.the one here didnt seem to know alot about what's going on.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnaKate View Post
    Hi. We started homeschooling in January right after Christmas break. Our state, Florida, now has our annual review period set for January. How will I know if we are set for sixth grade to start following a traditional school schedule? I don't know if I continue schooling during the summer or if we can take a summer break and pick up in sixth grade. Do I need to contact the school for his last grades?

AnaKate
    Unfortunately, I think your best bet is contacting the school board. Depending on the district, they may let you move the annual review period to the end of the school year, or even the end of the summer. I know that wasn't much help, and I'm sorry. Things like that can just vary throughout the state, depending on each school board...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

AnaKate is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a shot. Sometimes I feel like it is Us vs. Them. I'll repost when I get an answer! Thanks!
    bailbrae likes this.

casadeweaver Guest

You can do whatever you feel comfortable with. When you fill out your evaluation form you do not need to put in a grade. Your child just needs to show progress from where they are at so it really doesn't matter what grade they are in, so you can take a summer break if you want and then pick up where you left off.
    bailbrae likes this.

Unregistered Guest

Smile This is what we did...

Gabby also started T4L in january 2012..What I did was, I made a daily planner based on the curriculum..ex: I divided LAX, LA , MATH etc int daily lessons....ex: I divided the subjects into weekly lessons based on how many had to be done by June 7...Yes, sometimes we were online an entire day but we finished right on time this week! At this point, If not completed, I would divide the remainder of the lessons in each subject into the rest of the summer weeks..and based on the hrs and days u want to be online...Yes, the PBC school board stated that she'd be tested in Jan 2013, but I will be having her tested by either a tutor or the local school in Aug, when school resumes again. At that point she will either homeschool in the 3rd grade (where she should be ) or attend 3rd grade in a PB county school...Hope this helps...??

Quote Originally Posted by AnaKate View Post

AnaKate

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Gabby also started T4L in january 2012..What I did was, I made a daily planner based on the curriculum..ex: I divided LAX, LA , MATH etc int daily lessons....ex: I divided the subjects into weekly lessons based on how many had to be done by June 7...Yes, sometimes we were online an entire day but we finished right on time this week! At this point, If not completed, I would divide the remainder of the lessons in each subject into the rest of the summer weeks..and based on the hrs and days u want to be online...Yes, the PBC school board stated that she'd be tested in Jan 2013, but I will be having her tested by either a tutor or the local school in Aug, when school resumes again. At that point she will either homeschool in the 3rd grade (where she should be ) or attend 3rd grade in a PB county school...Hope this helps...??

Thanks so much for sharing this very helpful info!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!