Need Withdrawal Help!
    Unregistered Guest

Exclamation Need Withdrawal Help!

Hello! My husband and I have decided to begin homeschooling our daughter. She is 5 years old and already started Kindergarten in a public school. I have been trying to find information online for what we are legally supposed to do. The only thing I have found is that we need to send the letter of intent, however it says that is for children ages 6-16. Since our daughter is 5, I'm not sure what we are supposed to do. I am wanting to start homeschooling immediately, but not sure if she needs to continue to go to school until we get everything figured out? Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Heather

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome! You can check with your school system, but I would go ahead and submit your declaration of intent. If she had never been enrolled in the public school system, you wouldn't have to do that until she was 6. But because you will be pulling her out, I would submit it just so they know it's not a truancy issue. You have 30 days from the time you start homeschooling to submit the declaration. And they can't NOT allow you to withdraw her. Here are the Florida homeschool laws that I reference when I need to.

Good luck, and keep us posted! Always feel free to ask any questions you may have!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Unregistered Guest

Smile Re: Need Help Withdrawal

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello! My husband and I have decided to begin homeschooling our daughter. She is 5 years old and already started Kindergarten in a public school. I have been trying to find information online for what we are legally supposed to do. The only thing I have found is that we need to send the letter of intent, however it says that is for children ages 6-16. Since our daughter is 5, I'm not sure what we are supposed to do. I am wanting to start homeschooling immediately, but not sure if she needs to continue to go to school until we get everything figured out? Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Heather

Hi there, The regulations is for 6-16 because that's when all kids start school in first grade. Kindergarten is actually not required by law. Its great for a child to have but right now you have complete control of your daughter's education. As far as withdrawal in Florida you can withdraw your child from any grade any school any time in order to home school them. There are laws on this, and the teachers cannot make you feel like you can't do it at this time of year. I have gone through some teachers like that myself. Especially if your withdrawing because of poor teaching by teachers. As a parent you have complete control. This is one good thing about Florida. I have also lived in Virginia and I can tell you it's the same there. You need withdraw your child and then fill out the form of INTENT and you're all set. Then find a curriculum for you child. Mine is here full time. I love it because it's animated lessons, there's other courses that are more expensive and they are not even animated. If you don't want to explain the reason why your withdrawing your child then tell them your moving, I found out that it's the easiest way. Go ahead and withdraw your daughter because once she is withdrawn, you can then sign your form of intent and get on Time4Learning.net and thats really quick she wont miss a thing. Hope this helps