New to homeschool
    MeganS is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to homeschool

Hello all! My name is Megan and i have recently decided to homeschool my son who is a second grader. I am still a little unsure of what we need to do reguarding the science and social studies parts of the schooling. So far I have been unable to find anything for what is required in Florida. Any help and advice is much appreciated!! Thank you!!

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MeganS View Post
    Hello all! My name is Megan and i have recently decided to homeschool my son who is a second grader. I am still a little unsure of what we need to do reguarding the science and social studies parts of the schooling. So far I have been unable to find anything for what is required in Florida. Any help and advice is much appreciated!! Thank you!!
    Hi Megan!

One of the nice things about homeschooling in Florida is that you are free to choose your own path when it comes to what and how to teach. So there's nothing you "need" to do regarding science and social studies. You might want to follow your son's interests, whether that's learning about ancient Egypt or creating a weather station. Have fun with it!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi Megan!

One of the nice things about homeschooling in Florida is that you are free to choose your own path when it comes to what and how to teach. So there's nothing you "need" to do regarding science and social studies. You might want to follow your son's interests, whether that's learning about ancient Egypt or creating a weather station. Have fun with it!
    That's a GREAT answer! Thanks so much for chiming in.

Hello and welcome, Megan. Here are the Florida homeschool laws, just in case you want to take a look at them. When you say you are unsure about the science and social studies parts...I just want to be clear...are you asking about what FL requires from you, or are you referring to being unsure about what Time4Learning offers in the 2nd grade science and social studies?
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Unregistered Guest

Thank you for the advice! So far my son is absolutely loving T4L! We will start figuring out what he is most interested in to do for our Science and Social Studies.

Unregistered Guest

Thank you for the link! I was mostly unsure about what is required by the state for those two subjects. I have read a few articles on other sites but seem to be getting different opinions on the requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by bailbrae View Post
    That's a GREAT answer! Thanks so much for chiming in.

Hello and welcome, Megan. Here are the Florida homeschool laws, just in case you want to take a look at them. When you say you are unsure about the science and social studies parts...I just want to be clear...are you asking about what FL requires from you, or are you referring to being unsure about what Time4Learning offers in the 2nd grade science and social studies?

Unregistered Guest

Smile hi, Megan

Quote Originally Posted by MeganS View Post
    Hi, Megan, my name is Diana. I am on the same boat as you. I dont understand i just started homeschooling for my 3 children. They were attending Publix school but 2 of my children where lost to many kids in a classroom, So now I am homeschooling and is a little hard as to where to take them to testing and how to do project . and the lesson plan im totally lost too. But I hope it all falls into place.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi, Megan, my name is Diana. I am on the same boat as you. I dont understand i just started homeschooling for my 3 children. They were attending Publix school but 2 of my children where lost to many kids in a classroom, So now I am homeschooling and is a little hard as to where to take them to testing and how to do project . and the lesson plan im totally lost too. But I hope it all falls into place.
    Hi Diana, and welcome! Always feel free to ask any questions you have, and make sure to poke around all of the forums here...you can find a lot of great info!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Unregistered Guest

Smile

[QUOTE=Unregistered;40071]Hi, Megan, my name is Diana. I am on the same boat as you. I dont understand i just started homeschooling for my 3 children. They were attending Publix school but 2 of my children where lost to many kids in a classroom, So now I am homeschooling and is a little hard as to where to take them to testing and how to do project . and the lesson plan im totally lost too. But I hope it all falls into place.[/QU

Hi Diana,
    That's great that you are homeschooling with T4L. We have been doing it for almost two months now and my son loves it. I understand where you're coming from on being lost, but you get great feedback and suggestions, everyone is very helpful. So don't worry everything will fall into place. I still get a little lost as well, but feel free to ask questions and myself or someone else will try and help.

Good luck!
    Megan

Unregistered Guest

Cool Study Group Invitation and Time4Learning

Hello,
    I am a homeschooled parent, I have two children, one in 4th grade,
    and the second in 8th grade.
    I use the time4learning curriculum, and I am planning to start a fun
    free of charge study groups for homeschoolers.
    I am located in Broward County, Florida.
    If you are interested please write to me at my email address:
    [email protected].
    I am looking for parents who wants to help with the study group.
    I want to include arts and crafts time, fun time at the park,
    math is fun, pizza parties, etc. Kids needs the time together.
    Thank you,
    Carmen

P.S. An umbrella school is better to me for homeschooling.
    Florida Unschoolers is free of charge. Nancy Confere is the Owner.