New homeschoolers with questions
    Amyamy253 is offline Junior Member

Question New homeschoolers with questions

Hi, I started homeschooling my oldest son on April 1, 2012. It seems to be going really well. He is grasping the material on T4L much quicker than he seemed to in school. I was wondering what other curriculum I need to seek out? Does anyone just use T4L?
    I would like to start homeschooling my 3rd grade son but I was waiting for him to finish this school year. He is excited about homeschooling and doesn't want to wait for a new school year to begin. If I withdrawl him now, what will I have to do to have him considered as promoted to the 4th grade? He has already taken the standford 10 test for this year at school. He attends a private school. Would I be able to go ahead and just finish the third grade level or would it be better to leave him in school until the end of the year. If I did withdrawl him now and finish third grade with him, how would he considered promoted since he has already taken the standarized tests for this year? Would he need to take it again? I am not completely sure with the laws in Florida how that would work. I already sent in a letter of intent for my oldest son. I'm sorry I know I have a thousand questions, but I just don't want to mess up their schooling in any way. This is a big adjustment for us. Thanks for your help.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Honestly, if there is only a month or so left, you might want to leave your son in his private school? If you wanted to go ahead and pull him out, you may want to contact your school board to see if they can advise you about him promoting to the next grade level. Even though there are state laws, each school district may have a specific way that they want to see things done.

I would think that it would be fairly normal for your oldest to go through the material in T4L quicker than he did his work in school...no distractions, no waiting for the teacher to re-explain, that kind of thing.

We do use Time4Learning as our core, and have for a little more than five years now. My boys are in the 7th and 2nd grades. We use a few other websites, like these:

Spelling & Vocabulary Website: SpellingCity
    Learning Games For Kids
    http://www.vocabulary.co.il/

We also do a lot of "Googling" and "YouTubing," lol. My boys do art projects, science experiments, field trips and they do a lot of independent reading. And that's about it. We find something educational in just about everything we do, even grocery shopping. But we don't have a lot of "formal" resources.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Amyamy253 is offline Junior Member

Thanks Bailbrae for your help!!!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amyamy253 View Post
    Thanks Bailbrae for your help!!!
    No problem!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!