New to homeschooling
    Amber Cross is offline Member

Default New to homeschooling

Hi my name is Amber Cross I am from Panama City, Fl.Anyone out there from here? I am going to start this summer with my 5yr. old. I am very nervous and scared about this if i can do it. any suggestions on how you all plan out your day with a 5yr.old?
    Thanks for any advice and help!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Amber, and welcome! Unfortunately, I am not in your area. But maybe some of our members will chime in!

When my youngest was 5, we didn't really worry too much about his schedule. My oldest was 10, and my youngest would just work on his stuff while the oldest was busy; T4L, other web sites, crafts, handwriting, etc.

I would take time getting used to the idea of homeschooling first. See how long your child will sit and focus. Do they enjoy computer time? So they prefer games or other hands-on activities? You may be able to get them to work with you for a couple of hours at a time, or you may need to schedule a break every 20-30 minutes. That's the beauty of homeschooling...you can adjust your schedule to what suits you and your child, not what is best for a group.

Don't worry about being nervous. It happens. I have been homeschooling since 2005 and I still get nervous and anxious sometimes, lol.

As to your fears that you can't do this? Psh. You CAN do this! I would never say that homeschooling is the easiest decision I have ever made, but I can tell you that I don't regret it. I enjoy every day...even the days when the boys don't want to do anything. Enjoy this journey...

Always feel free to ask any questions you may have here. And check out the other forums on our board. There's always members to meet and things to learn.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Amber Cross is offline Member

Thanks for the advice. I just read this for the second time and needed it tonight. was frustrated today because my daughter did not want to do what i suggested today. So just kinda let her what she wanted to do but was still learning whatever she was doing. I have a 3 yr, old also and have her doing other computer things etc. Feel bad that sometimes not giving her as much attention as my 5yr. old. I am new to all this and I guess i am just being too hard on myself if don't get it all in i want too like extra things whether storytime,music,art writing etc.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

You're very welcome! And I can really relate to feeling bad about how much time I could focus on each child...my boys are 5 years apart and it's tough to sometimes give each of them what I want to give them, time wise. I can say that it did get better for me, and it probably will for you too. Just keep doing the best you can, and you'll see that you'll pull through. Some days you just won't get to everything, and that's ok. You might get extra time tomorrow. It just balances out and we make it work.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!