New to homeschooling in Jacksonville, Fl.
    Unregistered Guest

Question New to homeschooling in Jacksonville, Fl.

Hello to everyone. I am new to homeschooling. My daughter, due to health reasons, is taking a medical leave of absence from her private school in Jacksonville, Fl. She is in 7th grade and is extremely bright. I would love to have input from others regarding pros and cons of different programs available. I need to sign with one of the programs quickly. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Robin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New to homeschooling in Jacksonville, Fl.

Hi there and welcome to Time4Learning! Since you are on the T4L site, I will invite you to test out the demos here: https://www.time4learning.com/curriculum/demos.html#/

T4L is great for gifted or very bright children. It allows students to go at their own pace. They can go as fast as needed. You can also choose different grade levels for each subject. So, if your student is working in the 7th grade level for math, but desire a different grade level for language, you can set that up.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to homeschooling in Jacksonville, Fl.

Hi!

You might be interested in the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

I like to make sure people who are new to homeschooling understand that there is "homeschooling", and there are online or home-based school programs. Time4Learning is homeschooling. When looking at programs, you can weed out a few by being clear about what you want: an online school or home-based school or homeschooling.

Homeschooling: The parent directs the student's education. The parent is responsible for following the homeschool laws in the student's state of residence. For high school, the parent decides what equals a credit and what the student must do to graduate from the family's home school. The parent issues a homeschool diploma (which employers are required to treat the same as any other diploma if the student was homeschooled legally). Colleges are usually more interested in a student's test scores than in how they learned what they know.

Homeschool generally try to make sure a student is actually being taught; no state dictates what curriculum you must use or may not use. The teaching parent may use any curriculum they choose in the way they feel best fits their child's needs; they may also just teach their own way, without a specific curriculum.

Online or home-based school: A third party directs the student's education. The third party is responsible for following the school laws (not homeschool laws) in the school's state. The school decides what curriculum to use and how to use it. The school keeps records, awards credits, and issues a diploma.

School laws are designed for the "average" student, and there is little wiggle-room regarding customizing the program.

If you decide you want to homeschool (not enroll in an online school), I would certainly suggest Time4Learning for your curriculum choice! It's great for beginning homeschoolers, because you do not sit down to a pile of school work to correct each evening, and you don't have to teach everything "from scratch".

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!