New to homeschooling and T4L in Osceola Cnty
    Amylou is offline Junior Member

Default New to homeschooling and T4L in Osceola Cnty

Hi everyone!

It's really great there's a forum specifically for Florida. I've read the stickies at the top and they have some great information. If you have any advice for a new homeschooling mom (my child is 12 and I withdrew him over winter break), I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Amylou

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Amylou, and welcome! Honestly, my first piece of advice is to take some time to deschool for a bit. For some families this period lasts for a week, for some a year. But basically, just take time to get used to the fact that you guys are going to be home together. And don't feel like to you automatically have to recreate a classroom for your child. When I pulled my son out of public school, that was the first thing I did...set him up a desk and make him feel like he was right back in school. We were both miserable. Completely. And he was only in first grade, lol, so he wasn't quite as used to that school schedule as your child probably is.

Every family is so different. Some thrive on keeping to a rigid schedule. Others, like mine, are more comfortable just letting our days plan themselves.

I know you said you read through the stickies, but I am going to post a couple of links below...they are definitely good resources for homeschoolers. If you've read them, great. If not, and you want to, they are here for quick reference and you don't have to go search for them again.

Welcome to Homeschooling Guide by Time4Learning
    Getting Started with Time4Learning

Always feel free to ask any questions you have, and share your experiences! Looking forward to chatting with you more...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Amylou is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the reply and I'm going to check out those links now! Its really great to feel like I'm not alone in all of this, and the short time we've been on T4L, we love it! I'll take your advice about the deschooling. I have him sitting here next to me at the table with a laptop doing his modules. Advice from another mother has me rethinking the time limit I'm putting on his learning, and switching to a "do these modules today, at your own pace" kind of schedule. I appreciate any advice you can give, thank you so much!

Amylou

Blog Entries

That's a good plan...assigning modules and letting them just take as long (or as little time) as they take.
    Katie

magicalmom is offline Junior Member

Default Four Corners area here

Hi Amylou, My name is Amy as well, we live in Davenport and I homeschool my three girls, ages 18,12 and 10. I have been homeschooling for 3 1/2 years. We have tried many different methods during our homeschooling adventure. From T4L, text books, unschooling, other resources etc. We are just returning to T4L.
    Just want to take a moment and introduce ourselves and welcome you to the homeschooling environment here at T4L.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by magicalmom View Post
    Hi Amylou, My name is Amy as well, we live in Davenport and I homeschool my three girls, ages 18,12 and 10. I have been homeschooling for 3 1/2 years. We have tried many different methods during our homeschooling adventure. From T4L, text books, unschooling, other resources etc. We are just returning to T4L.
    Just want to take a moment and introduce ourselves and welcome you to the homeschooling environment here at T4L.
    Hi Amy, and welcome back! Thanks for chiming in and introducing yourself!
    Katie