New Rookie Homeschool Single Mom from Miami
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Miami Homeschool Mom

Thread: New Rookie Homeschool Single Mom from Miami

Miami Homeschool Mom Guest

Default New Rookie Homeschool Single Mom from Miami

Hello. I recently withdrew my boys from public school and began homeschooling them. They are 7 and 12 years old. I was hoping to meet other parents in the area who may be able to give me some advice and get together for a meet up or fieldtrip. I work outside the home for now and am basically trying to fit in lessons when I can. In all honesty, they both have been working independently with their lessons here at Time4learning. my 7 year old loves it the most. My 7th grader...a bit more challenging...but so is most of everything for a typical middle school student. I check their progress daily and review their scores to see where they may need more practice or review in. Aside from their curriculum lessons they also attend an afterschool care program daily which offers physical education, performing arts and life skills classes. My goal is to combine the existing Time4learning curriculum with Earth Schooling curriculum based on the Waldorf method, however I am waiting to implement this when I am able to work from the home, if not, a fear my sanity will definitely take its toll. I do not have a support group I belong to nor do I have a support group at home since I am a single mom and doing it all alone so ANY input, guidance and/or words of encouragement would be very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I really hope I can quickly become acquainted with others like me...Ivette
    yuleisi.cardenas likes this.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Ivette. I live in Pembroke Pines. We have several support groups in my area. I've gone to small homeschool conferences in Miami, so I know there are support groups in Miami. What part of Miami are you in? Here is a link to the Miami-Dade district on the FPEA (Florida Parents Education Association) website. You'll find some support groups there. One of my friends who lives in Miami recommends Path Homeschoolers and Pace.

By the way, I know a couple single homeschool moms who have been doing an amazing job with their kids! One of them just finished nursing school a year ago and is now working and continues to homeschool. She's an amazing lady. I hope you're able to get that job working from home!! You can do this!! I had to work outside the home for several years. I'm married, but my husband doesn't do any of the homeschooling. It's not easy, but it's doable, especially with Time4Learning!! We love T4L!!!

I hope this information helps! I'll keep an eye out for any other questions from you.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Unregistered Guest

Default Hi...

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Homeschool Mom View Post
    Hello. I recently withdrew my boys from public school and began homeschooling them. They are 7 and 12 years old. I was hoping to meet other parents in the area who may be able to give me some advice and get together for a meet up or fieldtrip. I work outside the home for now and am basically trying to fit in lessons when I can. In all honesty, they both have been working independently with their lessons here at Time4learning. my 7 year old loves it the most. My 7th grader...a bit more challenging...but so is most of everything for a typical middle school student. I check their progress daily and review their scores to see where they may need more practice or review in. Aside from their curriculum lessons they also attend an afterschool care program daily which offers physical education, performing arts and life skills classes. My goal is to combine the existing Time4learning curriculum with Earth Schooling curriculum based on the Waldorf method, however I am waiting to implement this when I am able to work from the home, if not, a fear my sanity will definitely take its toll. I do not have a support group I belong to nor do I have a support group at home since I am a single mom and doing it all alone so ANY input, guidance and/or words of encouragement would be very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I really hope I can quickly become acquainted with others like me...Ivette
    Hi Ivette..I have been homeschooling my 9 year old for the last three years..I am in West Plam and maybe together we can get some resources going...My question for you is...where did you findsomeone to watch the kids while you work outside the home..???...I would like to go back to work at least part time but find it diffcult to find someone who will watch a homeschooler....Any suggestions?.....Let's talk....Alba

Unregistered Guest

Default Miami

Hi Ivette, I am homeschooling in Miami, Dade. ages 10 and 11, boy and girl. Open for field trips, get togethers and fun ! Let me know if you are interested.

yuleisi.cardenas is offline Junior Member

Hi Miami Homeschool Mom:
    I am also new to T4L and Homeschooling in Miami. I am hoping that by now, you have answer some of the questions you originally have back in 2013 when you started and you can help a fellow mom ( me) with the scary beginning faces of this new venture in my family's. Both my daughters (11 & 12) are enrolled in the program but I am not sure am doing doing this 100% correctly. It has been less than a month and I would like someone to guide me before it is too late to correct things. I would greatly appreciate if you can help me sort some of these things out and perhaps we can plan a field trip with the kids. My email is [email protected]. Thank you in advance and I look forward to speaking to you soon. Have a lovely afternoon!!