Polk County Florida
    tjlove2003 Guest

Smile Polk County Florida

Starting my son in Homeschooling, and would love further info on groups, info and etc. That deal with homeschooling. He is 9 almost 10 and has completed 2 full report card cycles in Public school for 3rd grade. I was told I can count his report card grades, as part of his learning in his folder to complete 3rd grade.
    So any info would be greatly helpful.

Thanks
    Tammy

shell0404 Guest

Default I'm in polk county too!

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to homeschooling in general, my son is 9 almost 10 as well, and he has newly diagnosed ADHD and has had a lot of issues in the school system. We are still trying to adjust his meds and get him where he needs to be so that his behavior is stable. The school was not willing to work with us at all, so here we are trying our hand at homeschooling. We have been trying to file an intent to homeschool. You have 30 days to file your intent, and I am trying also to get information on how often do we need to turn in the portfolio work and information on FCATS. Maybe we can swap info? Good luck!

shell0328 is offline Junior Member

I have just started homeschooling my son we are in Polk county as well, My son is also 9 almost 10, he completed 2 of his school grading periods. I am very new to all of this but I am willing to swap information as regard to groups and support and information. I would love to find some social groups for my son as well, he is very sad that he has left his friends.

shell0328 is offline Junior Member

Hey, I also live in polk county, I have a 9 almost 10 year old son who completed two grading periods in school, I am new to the homeschooling game, maybe we can swap info and tips, any would be helpful. I'm looking for a support group for Polk County, I do know that there is a convention on March 4th, I have some friends that are homeschooling as well, but this all came up suddenly. So I am still preparing, I like this site, so far. It has been very helpful, and all of the other virtual schools, are either very expensive or they are no longer accepting students.

magicalmom is offline Junior Member

I am a little late but thought I would jump into the conversation. I homeschool two girls ages 12 and almost 11. I do not teach to a grade level. I teach based on their learning ability. We use T4L as a roadmap for learning, we also use a ton of websites with print outs. Anything and everything can be educational and part of the home school education. Rest assured, you taught your kids to talk, walk, eat, speak, get themselves dressed etc....so do not under estimate your ability to educate your kids. I am an out of the box type of homeschooling mom. I do not set hours, I do not worry myself sick over what grade they are at. Every person learns differently, with strengths and weaknesses. What is important is learning, communicating and feeling good about who they are as an individual. I work full time and my hours are crazy, so schedules are out the window. I live in Davenport, so I am a bit out on the edges of the county. I am willing to help in any way I can. This is my 3rd year homeschooling my girls but the first year I found comfort in the way I teach them. I combine traditional education with unschooling. I do not grade papers, we discuss them. We overlap subjects (a lesson that involves reading and answering questions about Thomas Jefferson is language arts, reading, history, etc). Bottom line, I want my kids to learn how to enjoy learning as it is life long. Some parents will disagree with my thinking but we found what works for us. Let me know if you would like to brainstorm!

Amy