Testing

Thread: Testing

Unregistered Guest

Default Testing

I home schooled my daughter this past year using time for learning and it was fantastic, but now the year has ended and I have no idea where to find a certified teacher to review her portfolio or provide testing? Does anyone have an idea how to find this information?

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome. Here are a couple of sites that I found: Homeschooling in Florida and FL Homeschool Evaluations - Florida Certified Teacher/Evaluator, Standardized Test Adminstrator.

I hope you can find one on one of those sites...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Unregistered Guest

Red face Certified Teacher

Hi,

I am not sure where you are at in Florida, but if you are near four corners "Polk, Osceola, Orange, Lake" county lines, I am not very far. I also home-school, and am also a certified teacher in the state of Fl. I am working on doing free tutoring in the community where I live right now, and hopefully get a group of home-schoolers together!

Let me know if you need more help. If you are in the Orlando area I have a great teacher there by the name of Ruth Christensen she is wonderful!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi,

I am not sure where you are at in Florida, but if you are near four corners "Polk, Osceola, Orange, Lake" county lines, I am not very far. I also home-school, and am also a certified teacher in the state of Fl. I am working on doing free tutoring in the community where I live right now, and hopefully get a group of home-schoolers together!

Let me know if you need more help. If you are in the Orlando area I have a great teacher there by the name of Ruth Christensen she is wonderful!
    Awesome! Thanks SO much for sharing and letting us know!!
    Katie

flhsmomof2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I home schooled my daughter this past year using time for learning and it was fantastic, but now the year has ended and I have no idea where to find a certified teacher to review her portfolio or provide testing? Does anyone have an idea how to find this information?
    This reply is a little late, but in case anyone else comes to this thread....

If you belong to any support groups, I would start there. I'm sure you'd get some local recommendations from your group. Also, many school districts keep lists of evaluators, so you might want to contact the person in charge of homeschool registrations for your district. You can also find a list of currently active evaluators here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flhsmomof2 View Post
    This reply is a little late, but in case anyone else comes to this thread....

If you belong to any support groups, I would start there. I'm sure you'd get some local recommendations from your group. Also, many school districts keep lists of evaluators, so you might want to contact the person in charge of homeschool registrations for your district. You can also find a list of currently active evaluators here.
    Awesome! Thanks for the list of evaluators!
    Katie

ervin horne is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello i am in jacksonville also and wanted to get in on that last question. In getting a certified teacher, what does the teacher has to be certified in. If the students are being tutored does the tutor need to be certifired or just hold a ba or higher

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ervin horne View Post
    Hello i am in jacksonville also and wanted to get in on that last question. In getting a certified teacher, what does the teacher has to be certified in. If the students are being tutored does the tutor need to be certifired or just hold a ba or higher
    Hi there! According to Florida Homeschool laws I found at HSLDA, here are the requirements you inquired about:

To do an annual evaluation - "Have educational progress evaluated by a teacher holding a valid regular Florida teaching certificate and selected by the parent. The evaluation must include review of a portfolio and discussion with the student"

For the tutor option - "Homeschools can operate under the private tutor law. Fla Stat. Ann. § 1002.43. A person may teach a child if the person meets the following requirements:
    a. Holds a valid Florida certificate to teach the subjects or grades in which instruction is given;
    b. Keeps all records and makes all reports required by the state and district school board; and
    c. Requires students to be in actual attendance for 180 days or the equivalent on an hourly basis."

Hope that helped...
    Katie