Using T4L as primary curriculm
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shilo Henthorn- Register

Thread: Using T4L as primary curriculm

shell0328 is offline Junior Member

Default Using T4L as primary curriculm

I am hoping to use T4L as my primary curriculum for homeschooling my son, are there other parents doing this, and how well is it working for you? This is my first time homeschooling and I am trying to get organised. Any and all tips are appreciated! Thank you!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Shell. We use Time4Learning as our primary curriculum for our core subjects. We've been with T4L for over 4 years. So, yes, it most definitely is working perfectly for us. We love it!!

This link to the T4L Sitemap should be helpful. If you look at the top right column, you will see a link for hints. That will take you to another page where you can learn how to use the activity scheduler, if you so choose. We haven't used it, but I know other families here do. With my daughter, we just start at the beginning and follow through...if she hits a bump, then we repeat the lesson as often as needed until she gets it. Our daughter needs a lot of repetition to retain, since she is learning challenged. Which is another reason we love T4L...it allows us that option. She works at her own pace. She is even able to work at one grade level in Language Arts, which is her strong subject, and a lower grade level in math, which is more of a challenge for her.

I hope this helps. T4L is quite easy to navigate. You'll find lots of information here. And the members and staff are very friendly and helpful...so ask questions anytime you need.

Hope to see you around the forums more.

Janet
    Having fun learning with our 3 children (2 high school and 1 elementary, using T4L & T4W)

shell0328 is offline Junior Member

The curriculum is great, i am a little concerned because my son seems to get finished with his assignments quickly, maybe I am just used to the traditional hours of public school. Tobey has severe ADHD and emotional/mood disorders so this is good for him, especially as he is the beginning stages of diagnosis, I'm worried that he misses his friends, I wish I knew more homeschooling parents in my area.

klivanec Guest

Default new to t4L

Hi there,
    I too am new to this site.I am using this for my 6th graders Science.We were using Apologia Human anatamoy.It was fine,but I felt we weren't getting any of the other areas of Science.This is our first year HS and I feel overwhelmed with making sure I am doing a good job.He failed his first experiment and now I am worried ..I thought he would do well with online work to get away from books.My older son does FLVS and has done great.I guess I just needed to vent.If anyone has any suggestions for this site to help me help him,feel free.Thanks Kathy in WPB

Hi, Klivanec. We're in Pembroke Pines, FL. We've been homeschooling a little over 12 years, using T4L for almost 5 years.

T4L can be used as a primary curriculum or as a supplementary curriculum. We've done it both ways.
    When you say you felt you weren't getting any of the other areas of science....each year you should be covering a different area. For example, 6th grade you can do Anatomy, 7th, Botany, 8th grade Planets.
    We use Apologia too. My kids like to just read through their books. So these are books I probably will keep for a long time. Can I encourage you that if your son failed his first experiment, it's okay. Experiments don't always turn out right. You can always do it again. When my kids fail a test or a quiz, I use the test as a guide to what we need to cover again...maybe in a different way.

This is one of the things I love about T4L. When my daughter doesn't understand a concept, T4L explains it several different ways. And if I see that she has scored low on a quiz, I can repeat the lesson and quiz with her....as many times as necessary. She can work at her own pace. I just want learning to be fun. And that, it is, with T4L!!

Don't worry. Just work at his pace. You know best when to challenge him and when to slow down and cover something again or give him more time. My biggest advice to you would be to read with your son. Let him cover his core subjects on T4L, and then just read with him as much as possible....whether it be good fiction or educational books like Apologia. Watch educational movies from the library. There are so many creative ways to make learning fun.

If you look over to the right side of this page, there is a downloadable homeschool guide which you may find helpful.

Janet
    having fun learning with our 2 high schoolers and 1 elementary, using T4L & T4W

Hi, Shell. Does your son think the work is too easy? Or are you comparing the time it takes him to do his work to the amount of hours he spent in school? If it's the latter, then be encouraged that our kids don't need to spend 7 hours a day doing school work. My elementary dd does about 3 hours of school. My high schoolers do about 4 to 5 hours of school. If he, however, is finding the work too easy, then you can change his grade level. If you don't know how to do it yourself, you can call the office at (888) 771-0914. They're very friendly and helpful. They may have even have other suggestions for you.

Have you gotten connected with a support group in your area? I don't know what part of Florida you live in. Are you familiar with FPEA? If you follow that link, you will see 'Find Your District'. That will take you to support groups. You may be able to find one close to you. Also, FPEA is having their huge homeschool convention the last weekend in May. I try to attend every year.

Well, I hope some of that helps.

Janet
    Having fun learning with our 3 children (2 high school and 1 elementary, using T4L & T4W)
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 03-11-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Shilo Henthorn- Register is offline Junior Member Newbie

I have been using T4L as our Primary Curriculum for my 1st and 3rd grader since September of this year (this is our first year homeschooling) and we love it. It is easy to follow, my younger son pretty much gets on and does his lessons on his own, with minimal help from me and he loves being independent, my older son needs a little more direction so i have to sit with him to make sure he actually is doing the work. But like i said we love it so far. Good luck!!
    lovehmschlg likes this.

That's great, Shilo. You may find this link on Hints and Help in using Time4Learning helpful. Also, if you look over to the right on this page, you will see a Homeschool Guide download for parents new to homeschooling. Lots of great info in there.

Enjoy your homeschool journey. I look forward to seeing you around the forums.

Janet
    Having fun learning with our 3 children (2 high school and 1 elementary, using T4L & T4W