4th grader fighting me to do school
    LaurieTX is offline Junior Member

Default 4th grader fighting me to do school

My 4th grader is getting to the point that he detests doing school. I asked why he was not wanting to do school & he finally says that he doesn't want to do the tests. I have been supplementing him with pages I found on line for his grade level. What can I do to make this a positive thing for him?? I want to continue with T4L because I paid for a whole year, but mainly think it's a great curriculum.
    TIA,
    Laurie

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Laurie,

I know that it is difficult to know what to do when your child balks at doing school. Believe me, my 13 y/o daughter and I practically have knock down/drag out fights about school at times. Why doesn't he want to do the tests? Has he made bad scores? Are the tests too far removed from when he did the lessons?

There are a couple of things that we have tried, different things work at different times and with different subjects, so you might have to do a bit of experimenting. My daughter complained that the social studies chapters were too long and that she couldn't remember all the information from the time she started a long chapter until it was time to take the test. I tried to get her to take notes, but she hated to write. I printed out the quizzes and let her study for the chapter test by studying the quizzes. That helped some.

The other thing we did was I let her try a chapter test "open book". I let her open up a search engine window as well as the chapter test. If she didn't know an answer I allowed her to go and research the answer. I figured it was a win/win for us, she completed T4L lessons, completed the chapter test, and did additional research to find the answers. If she had to go to the trouble of finding the answer it was more likely to stick.

Sometimes they just need to step away from the formal education and learn something they want to know about. Maybe offer an incentive of a break for some independent studies on completion of a test before starting the next chapter. Maybe he really likes trains, or space, or baseball, or gardening, or whatever. Let him do some independent studying by reading a book, watching movies, doing hands on experiments, something fun and not tested. All of these things have worked at different times and stages in our homeschool. Maybe something will help your son along. Let us know how things are going!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

kegs0 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hope you're still using the program, and that your 4th grader has settled down. I had a similar problem with a 2nd grader who was fine with the online work, but wanted to skip all the quizzes and tests.

Mine student wants to skip all the lessons and only take the quizzes and tests! She doesn't like doing the lessons. It is interesting to see how each child has different likes, dislikes, and styles!
    Linda

Dart Ridenour is offline Junior Member Newbie

Laurie,

Often it is the sitting still part that makes test taking difficult for some kids. Does he have trouble being still for the lessons? Do you have him take the tests at different table or desk than he does his other work?

If he is a kinesthetic learner, sitting still may be effecting his concentration and increasing his frustration. Sometimes it helps to allow him to stand, even stand on a piece of foam or balance board while he takes the tests. You may also look into "Brain Gym" it has different activities he can perform to help him to focus before he takes a test.

Hope it helps

christen is offline Junior Member

Why not skip the tests for a while? He needs to learn it but he doesn't HAVE to do the tests right? Or can you just ask him the questions orally? My 4th grader dislikes school too. Not as much as she hated PS but still, she is not excited for it. It's called being a kid, I think.

Christen

LaurieTX is offline Junior Member

Thank you for all of the input! Wouldn't not taking the tests & quizzes be an incomplete in his school work? I'll have him just do the lessons & tell him to skip the quizzes & tests. He'll be happy to d that! He was failing them pretty badly, especially in math. He mostly enjoys the lessons!
    Thank you again for your input!
    Laurie

Actually not doing the quizzes and tests will reflect as incomplete. However, if you helped him do the quizzes, by verbally asking the questions while he stood or moved around, and get him to give you an answer you could go ahead and score the quizzes. Does that make sense? I hope so, but if not, please ask!
    Linda