5th Grade Social Studies
    Eulalia42 is offline Junior Member

Question 5th Grade Social Studies

Hi Everyone,
    Is anyone else having trouble finishing 5th grade Social Studies? We have worked really hard on it this year, but I don't see how we can finish it by our deadline (May 23rd). It's very dry and my granddaughter has difficulty staying interested (by the way, so do I).

Am I shortchanging her if we don't finish the social studies course?

What would be a good alternative for the social studies course that I could use next year in 6th grade?

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks,

Eulalia

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Eulalia,
    In my opinion you would not be short changing your granddaughter if you did not finish. In fact, I remember it taking us longer. We just started where we left off when the next school year started. Since there is no 8th grade social studies, it worked out for us. We let 5th, 6th, 7th grade social studies actually span 4 school years. We also add things like current events so that the three years of curriculum wasn't too thin for 4 years.
    I have to admit that my daughter found social studies a bit dry, as you said, but I think it is because history is just not terribly dynamic The only other thing we did was when social studies got just too hard to get through I would let my daughter read a biography or autobiography from the period, or we would watch a documentary, or do something hands on related to the period we were studying. Mixing it up a bit helped keep it interesting. I hope this helps! Let us know what you decide to do!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!