6th grade social studies study help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By lovehmschlg
  • 2 Post By MamaToHerRoo
  • 1 Post By Phyremuse

Thread: 6th grade social studies study help

Phyremuse is offline Junior Member

Question 6th grade social studies study help

My son is breezing through everything but SS. Is there a printable study guide or anything like that? He's having a very hard time with the chapter tests.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Phyremuse, there is not a printable study guide. What I can suggest you do is to look over the Lesson Plan Scop and Sequence for that subject. It gives a more detailed description of what is covered in each chapter of the 6th grade Social Studies.
    You would need to go into the Parent Admin account. Just go to the top-right corner of the page at Time4Learning.com. You wills see Member Login. Click on that and it will bring down a tab where you can select the Parent Admin login. Once in, you can review the Lesson Plan Scope and Sequence in more detail for any subject. That should help you do a little more in depth study with him or help him in the areas he's having trouble with.

Remember that your student can repeat lessons as often as needed. So if hes' gone through a lesson and he didn't understand it, he can do it again and even have you sit with him while he repeats it to see where he's struggling in the lessons. You are also able to preview the lessons yourself. You can find how to preview lessons in your parent admin page. Just be sure when you exit a lesson after previewing, that you exit by way of the "home" buttons in the upper left hand corner of the lesson window so as to not have that recorded in your son's Progress Report.

I hope that helps.
    MamaToHerRoo and Phyremuse like this.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

My daughter had to actually learn to take notes. She tried trying to remember and failed. We do this in two ways. Sometimes I preview and take notes to make a study guide. Sometimes she actually takes notes. One other thing we do which is not completely T4L but it is how we learn...she takes the test, if she does not make 80% sometimes I make her go do independent research on the internet to find the corrections to the answers she missed on the test. Since she doesn't like doing that she is more willing to take notes ahead of time.
    Phyremuse and amygailanderson like this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Phyremuse is offline Junior Member

Thank you both! Time to teach note taking.
    beversacademy likes this.

My son has struggled horribly with this. This is the first time homeschooling after 6 years of public school and dealing with Common Core. I've had to work with him quite a bit on how to take proper notes. And have moved when he does social studies, so he does it after lunch when my 1st grader is on things she can listen to and read while I'm helping him. It's taken 4 weeks to get to this place and has been a struggle and frustrating on his part. Hopefully you guys find a good pattern

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

wthastings, I just wanted to mention that after 6 years in public school you might have to allow for that "decompression" time. It is a period of time where kids have to unlearn the habits of public school, as well as to learn to love learning again. The more years in public school, the longer this takes, as a general rule. It might take a week or so per year they were in the traditional school setting. Of course, it is different for every child, but just figure some time in to help things go smoothly! Happy homeschooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

I also want to point out that you don't HAVE TO use everything on TFL if it's not working for your child. The beauty of homeschooling is that you can personalize everything to maximise your child's learning. You may want to get other social studies materials to supplement or replace what TFL has to offer.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.