7th grade math LA#PDMA7156 Help Needed
    Elia12 is offline Junior Member

Question 7th grade math LA#PDMA7156 Help Needed

As you probably noticed, there is no answer key for the independent practices. We are stuck on this particular one. Even after listening to the lessons, I have no idea what the answers are, or how they get to them, using the formulas required. Any help would be great! Even if you just have the answers.

Thank you!

lac.ddclc is offline Member

Graphic artists we're not, but my son, Joshua, and I made an answer key for this worksheet for you.

PDMA7156 Homemade Answer Key (WRONG)

PDMA7156 Homemade Answer Key (corrected)

There's one graph where I drew an arrow from the point above the number line instead of putting dots on each number because Joshua told me that's how he learned it.

If you have any questions about what I wrote or how we came to an answer, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Last edited by lac.ddclc; 01-17-2016 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Add corrected answer key

I appreciate the effort, but the problem we were having is figuring out the equation for #2. The answer of which is actually < or equal to 12.5, not 16.8. We were able to determine this by using the answers provided on the graph solution set and inputting those numbers into the given fields. I will have to go back and check the other answers against yours, but I do believe we were able to figure those out. Hopefully, this new information will help you to figure out the correct equation, and if it does, PLEASE share this with us!! I am truly struggling with this problem, but I am obviously not the only one. Thank you!

Btw, excellent job on the worksheet!

Ah! Sorry about that.

After seeing your answer, I looked again and saw what we did wrong on question #2.

2. The length of the rectangular fence is 4 feet greater than its width. The perimeter of the

fence is less than 42 feet. What is the range of the lengths of the fence?

We read it wrong and had the width = ¼ of the length (¼l) instead of the length minus 4 feet (l-4).

The equation for the perimeter of a rectangle is twice the length + twice the width. In this case, if w=l-4, then the starting equation to answer the inequality would be:

2l + 2w < 42 and w= l-4 therefore:
    2l + 2(l-4) < 42
    2l + 2l -8 < 42
    4l - 8 < 42
    4l < 50 (adding 8 to both sides to cancel)
    l < 12.5 (dividing 4 from both sides to cancel)

I thought it was weird that the answer we came up with wasn't on the graph. That should have been the first clue that we did something wrong. I'll recheck the other answers to make sure they're correct.

BTW, the answer keys provided by Compass Learning are sometimes no better. We've found so many mistakes, we've stopped reporting them because no one ever gets back to us with a confirmation of the correct answer.

PS I added a link to the corrected answer key in my original response - that answer key that Joshua told me is "quite unprofessional" because I added sarcastic comments about the texts and the ballgame. If we parents can't have a little fun with our children's schoolwork sometimes, we'd go crazy.

Thank you! And I completely agree. I've noticed the same. It's frustrating at best to mark a problem wrong and have him struggle to fix it, only to find out the answer key is wrong. UGH! Thank you for providing the correct answer. I'll definitely post again in the future if we have an issue.

You're welcome. Any time I can help, I will be happy to (reading the questions correctly being even more helpful).

Homeschooling parents helping and supporting each other, so that we can do what we believe is best for our kids - that's what this forum is for.