8th grade social studies?
    Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

Default 8th grade social studies?

I noticed that TFL doesn't have social studies for 8th grade. What do other parents of 8th graders do for that subject? I have a 7th grader now, and I'm still undecided about what to do for next year. One of TFL's advantages was that it covered all 4 basic subjects- if it only covers 3, I'm not sure it will meet our needs.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

Really? Nobody has any input? I'm sure there are other parents of 8th graders on here!

christinat4l is offline T4L Support
    Blog Entries

Hi Ruth,

Time4Learning allows 8th-grade students to integrate their subjects from our high school curriculum. There are several social studies/history courses available in the Time4Learning high school courses. Many of them are suitable for 8th-grade students. You can purchase a high school account for $30.00 per month for 4 courses. You can select some of the 8th-grade courses and then select one of the 9th-12th social studies courses. This is a very simple process and you will still have access to all of your student's records. Please contact support for assistance. 888-771-0914

~Christina~
    Last edited by christinat4l; 05-20-2015 at 08:24 AM.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Students who have never used Time4Learning usually substitute the seventh grade social studies, but that's probably what you are using right now. I have actually used social studies from a much lower grade level for my eighth graders . . . because the difference isn't so much in "difficulty", but in content. So, I just look at the lesson plans and choose some chapters or units that cover things I know they haven't studied much (or ever) in the past. I remember one time when I just had my eighth grader do the fifth grade social studies lessons, straight through. There are 431 activities in fifth grade social studies . . . two or three per day . . . definitely kept him busy learning.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by christinat4l View Post
    Hi Ruth,Time4Learning allows 8th-grade students to integrate their subjects from our high school curriculum. There are several social studies/history courses available in the Time4Learning high school courses. Many of them are suitable for 8th-grade students. You can purchase a high school account for $30.00 per month for 4 courses. You can select some of the 8th-grade courses and then select one of the 9th-12th social studies courses. This is a very simple process and you will still have access to all of your student's records. Please contact support for assistance. 888-771-0914~Christina~
    I did NOT know that was an option! When I emailed customer support, I was told that there isn't an 8th grade social studies component because its' considered an "extra" and my concerns were pretty much brushed off. I didn't know I could sign up for the high school and still use some of the 8th grade subjects.
    Last edited by Ruth_Lanton; 06-02-2015 at 06:59 PM.

rhblizzard is offline Junior Member

My dd just finished eight. We used the extensive Khan Academy for SS. You can create an account as the teacher and they send you an update every week of material covered.